Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Access

Level 2
Our team has access to mark their tasks complete/done, unfortunately this also means they have access to change the assignment on tasks. Is there any way around this? We do not want them to be able to delete or add assignments.
9 Replies

Level 8
Hi Jan, You can change the access levels in the Setup area of Workfront. If they're Workers, you can take away access to delete and create tasks in projects.

Level 2
Understood. But it seems that the same access needed to mark tasks complete also gives access to change assignments.

Level 8
Unfortuantely that's the tradeoff that you would have to make. Alternatively, you could put in place written expectations and workflow for the users stating that they are not supposed to delete or change task assignments and hold them to those expectations.

Level 7
Actually, I think you can do this. If you go to EDIT PROJECT, go to the ACCESS area. There you'll see "When someone is assigned to a TASK... Give them (here you can say "Contribute" access to the task, and then edit the Contribute options - uncheck the option to "Make Assignments". I think that should solve it for you.

Level 10
Greg is right - he describes how to stop it moving forward. To fix the assignments already made: Select the Project Actions menu - then Sharing option - Select the person / team - Drop down the View/Contribute/Manage menu (it is already set to Contribute). Then deselect Add Tasks. That stops people from adding tasks if they already have Contribute permission on the project. Let us know if Greg’s suggestion and mine don’t fix it for you… Thanks, Eric

Level 2
Ok. Thanks! That solves my problem for new projects. Is there no way to stop them from making assignments on existing projects?

Level 7
I think there could me many ways to do this, but here's one: Get all tasks that are shared with the same user(s). Bulk edit all those tasks by selecting "Share" and then enter their name(s) and set up the appropriate share access there. This will override whatever sharing they currently have.

Level 2
This worked! Thank you so much!! :)

Level 10
Also for the future I would recommend to check the default Project Settings in Setup and Project area. "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216606868-Project-Permissions#Configuring_Default_Permissions_for_Access_Levels_in_a_Project">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216606868-Project-Permissions#Configuring_Default_Pe... I am guessing you have default set to Manage for Assignees, you can change it to Contribute (Recommended) which will allow them to change status, log hours, mark Done etc.