Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Access to Resource Management in Workfront

Level 10
Hi everyone, With an effort to broaden access to Resource Management tools in Workfront, we are currently researching the way to ease up the prerequisite of having a Resource Manager on the project. There are several approaches we are investigating and our present focus is on 4 key personas - an executive, a Resource/Project Manager, a team lead and a team member. With that, I have compiled a survey that describes the access permissions for those personas and would greatly appreaciate if you could take a few minutes to fill it out. Survey link can be found below.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 10
Is it okay to send this link to others in my company? Or are you looking more for a variety of companies so having one FCB response is okay? Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Absolutely, the more people filling in the survey, the better! The same applies to other companies, if you feel there are other people at your organization that should have an opinion on this, please feel free to share the link with them. Thanks, Vazgen Babayan Product Manager Workfront

Level 10
OK - done....looking forward to the removal of the resource manager settings (as long as the replacement is well designed!) :) Cheers David Cornwell

Level 10
Are you looking at removing the constraint on having to use Resource Pools as well? ;) Jamie Hill JLL EMEA

Level 10
Not at this point :) But I will be interested in discussing that with you and understand what about the current implementation of Resource Pools makes it feel like a constraint and not a natural part of the workflow. Vazgen Babayan Product Manager Workfront

Level 10
Hi Vazgen, For us it's probably a step back from resource pools. We don't do resource budgeting (yet) because we don't really see how it adds value in the workflow between planning tasks and assigning resources. i.e. For us if something is budgeted then it should become available for assigning resources. Without this workflow we don't really see the ROI in going through the budgeting process (though maybe it is a lack of understanding?). So at the moment, without using the resource planner for budgeting, the only benefit of setting up and assigning resource pools to projects is to be able to reduce the set of projects which you see in the planner (if you're using Project view). If you're using User view then the resource pools don't seem to do much that you can't do by using Teams in the filter. So overall we don't see much value in resource pools, but if changes were made to the effect of budgeting so that we wanted to do it, then we may well use resource pools. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 10
Hi Vazgen, Some thoughts I have around the RP: Resource pools confuse me and, to be honest, don't really give much value. I prefer you just focus on the assignments, regardless of whether it's a task or an issue. I know issues wasn't working at one point in the resource planner, but I hope that was fixed. Budget and variance also don't matter to us and ideally we'd be able to hide those columns from the resource planner as they confuse our users when trying to see the resource allocations. Looking forward to more conversations around this! --Naraya Narayan Raum Workfront CoE Manager & Delivery Lead SunTrust Bank

Level 10
To jump in here, we have a one-to-one relationship between resource pools and groups. So really, for us, if there were filters based on groups, we definitely wouldn't need resource pools. Right now, we don't even tell project managers about it and have an API call every night that puts in the resource pool for us. Anthony Imgrund FCB