Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

About to Launch, any advice for training / guidelines?

Level 2
Hi Everyone, We are currently in Utah at WF Bootcamp and when we head back to NYC we will begin our training and guidelines to present to our department. We have flex licenses (work and planner) as well as different levels of management layouts. We will also have Reviewer/ Approver licenses as well as Proof licenses. I would love for any advice or documents to help us create a guideline or training tool to help us train our team of 50 people. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me! Best, Jill Jillian McGovern NYU Langone Health
7 Replies

Level 10
If you're not already, REQUIRE them all to take some of the Workfront Training modules. Which ones they should take depends on your usage. But I recommend you require them to take some or at least one of those modules so they have a good foundation. And Workfront has reports where you can see who took the courses. So we required people to take 1-3 courses depending on their roles. Then we trained them ourselves on how we would configure and use Workfront (the processes and flow of work). So we did a classroom training for everyone (again ensuring everyone attended). Then after implementation we walked the floor for two weeks helping people and answering questions. This was valuable as a lot of people didn't ask questions unless you appeared at their desk. Suddenly they were full of questions and had a lot of "ah ha" moments. We had a much smoother than expected rollout and adoption. I was very pleasantly surprised. And I think it was because of those 3 things (WF Training, Procedural Training, and walking the floor. That, and the fact that we had backing from the top (our CIO)). So no one could say they didn't want to take the training, or just not do it. Good Luck!!!! Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT | Sr. IT Project Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT

Level 7
We had a similar structure for our launch in that we… Required that they took specific Workfront education classes beforehand. The amount of classes that they took depended on if they were a Plan or a Work license. Held Lunch & Learn Workfront Overview training sessions (basically outlining our specific Workfront set-up, workflow(s), process(es), etc.). Held one for Plan licenses and another one for Work licenses. Each had similar core training but for Plan licenses, we went over additional topics such as how adding Projects, using pre-configured Templates, setting up Programs, etc. Crafted a number of "How To" documents on key topic areas. These were short, step-by-step guides with screenshots from our instance outlining items such as: How To - Add a Program, How To - Create a New Project, How To - Set Personal Time Off, etc. As there were only two of us implementing the launch for a fairly large department, we thought this would help with potentially reducing the number of questions that we would receive after launch as well as provide reference material for people to refer back to or to help with training when new individuals started in the department. Held 'Office Hours' afterwards. We booked a conference room for about a week and a half afterwards and were available so that anyone could swing by and ask us any questions that they had. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
Hi Jill, In addition to the great suggestions above, we created some short how-to videos covering each of the main aspects of usage: Browser settings, and logging in to Workfront Basic navigation Reviewing and accepting work requests Your calendar and viewing upcoming work Updating, logging time and closing tasks Timesheets Some people don't like to read documentation, no matter how good it is, and I found videos quite handy as a way to provide something visual to those people and deliver the key points in a standard way. One other thing I would suggest is to make sure you involve key people from each area of your business, and make sure that they understand their own teams' processes very well before you get started. Lastly, reach out on the community for help! There are no silly questions around here. 3 years in, and I'm still learning.... Cheers, David Cornwell

Level 2
Is there any way to "assign" courses to users, so that they are already in their My Learning queue when the log in? And is there a way for me to confirm they have completed the courses? Dustin Silbereisen Novant Health

Level 6
Dustin, People set up as Managers in Ascent are able to enroll other users in courses. Check out the bottom section of this Support article: "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001754073-Managers-in-Workfront-Ascent">https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001754073-Managers-in-Workfront-Ascent David Bray LeapPoint

Level 2
One of the things that we did before we launched was to create Quick Reference Guides - Step by step how to do the basics. I know there are a lot of different ways to work but we designed the this is the easiest way to do the basic functions for each user type. We distributed a hard copy during our training - yes we did in person / Web training for all our users and then posted for easy access. Although it changed from our initial launch for the first month or so it gave users a place to look to see if they could figure things out. Good Luck with your launch! "http://www.verizon.com"

Level 10
Nothing more to add, than what has already been posted. I would like to know the feedback of your users on the launch - once you decide how to get them trained. Good luck. Benetta Perry APS