Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

2019.1 Release - Display Lists in Full Screen

Level 3
Is anyone else having trouble search for a specific project using (ctrl+f)? We have 2,777 projects and I cannot do a search for the project I want to view while I am on the full-screen mode. Jessica Rodriguez | Verizon Wireless
21 Replies

Level 10
Hi @Jessica Rodriguez - ctrl-f no longer works fully with the new project lists / task lists due to the lazy load functionality which only progressively loads the lines as you scroll. Whilst it is hard to break the ctrl-f habit, the good news is that there is a new filter function (the filter button on the far right of the task list). The filter actually works better than ctrl-f because it filters down everything on the list to just what you're interested in....no need to skip up and down the page through the results like ctrl-f. David Cornwell

Level 10
Is that true on JUST the project list or on all lists??? This is really bad. I've noticed for a while the ctl-f hasn't worked well in the Sandbox, but didn't think that would be coming to Prod. That would be terrible!!! I use the browser Find all the time to find tasks etc.

Level 10
Hi @Vic Alejandro - have you tried the new Filter button though? I reckon the new Filter is pretty good and in some ways better than ctrl-f. David Cornwell

Level 3
David, you're right the workfront filter button is much better. Thanks!

Level 3
Vic, it looks likes it will apply to all the lists that display in full screen but as David points out the filter button is more efficient. Jessica Rodriguez Verizon Wireless

Level 10
I agree with you both: the new filter option is helpful, David, but Ctrl+F is standard in all browsers, as Vic points out. I expect that removing something so second nature for end users will lead to a heated debate (as did "https://meta.discourse.org/t/options-to-disable-hijack-of-cmd-f-ctrl-f-and-keys-for-search/16875/23">similar experiments ; language warning) and eventually, its reinstatement. Perhaps we could save some energy and skip to the latter on this one. That said, if anyone can offer background research to explain where this (and perhaps similar recent) UI decisions are coming from, I'd be interested in understanding the rationale. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Community Advisor
I can see the filter being better because you then have the things you're looking for grouped together and don't have to skip up and down the page as David mentioned. But breaking the ctrl-f habit is going to be a long, hard struggle. I love my keyboard commands!

Level 10
Yeah, this is lousy. Period. I'm envisioning the calls our IT Helpdesk claiming Chrome or it's Find function is broken. When I was doing finds in the Sandbox I thought I was going crazy. I was trying different browsers, trying Prod, getting colleagues to test it. I also just tried the Filter and on one of my searches it doesn't shift the whole screen. I have literally 1.5 inches of movable scrolling screen. Also not crazy in general about the new rolling screen. Usually I just use my mouse wheel to scroll down. Now we have to first position the cursor in that same 1.5" Task area to get the rolling screen to move. We're going backwards.

Level 10
Hi @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore - I just did some testing on the topic of hijacking ctrl-f. In conclusion I think Workfront haven't hijacked it enough. To explain.... Due to introducing lazy-load, not all items on the list are always loaded by the browser and so the standard ctrl-f search doesn't work (only can find items that have loaded so far). To address this, Workfront added the Filter button (requiring users to click on it, with no keyboard shortcut which I agree is a bit of a backward step). To see the extra step of hijacking that they need to do, if you have a play with Google Sheets you can see that they have fully hijacked ctrl-f. It intercepts the ctrl-f and opens a Google Sheets specific search function which searches through the whole list of rows regardless of whether they have loaded yet. To see the difference manually open the Chrome "Find..." search box using the mouse and it also cannot find items on the Google Sheets page (just like Workfront using ctrl-f). So I think all Workfront need to do is copy what Google Sheets does and fully hijack the Ctrl-f, and have it have the same effect as clicking the Filter button. This would probably resolve the concern for most users and definitely looks possible. Perhaps @Dustin Martin might be able to ask the relevant product manager to consider this. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 10
Completely agree on allowing Ctrl + F / ‚åò + F to have the same effect as clicking the new "Filter" button. Other than that, the new filtering seems much better and a welcome improvement! Jamie Hill JLL

Level 4
Hello, everyone, Thank you for your thoughts on this topic. I'm the Product Manager responsible for the list redesign so I'd like to provide answers to your concerns here. With redesigning the lists, we want to make sure you will have a smooth experience working with lists, regardless if you're viewing a 100 or 2000 items on your page. As David mentioned, we have implemented the new lists with lazy rendering which allows rendering the rows as you scroll instead of the whole page data. This approach has allowed us to significantly improve the performance of list interactions (inline editing, selections, collapse/expand groupings, inline editing etc) so that you don't feel any delays after each action, particularly when working with large lists. These concepts have been applied to the Projects lists with our previous release and in this release (2019.1) we will be applying these concepts to the task list. We are particularly excited about the performance improvements that our customers will gain from this new approach. The caveat of the lazy rendering is that the rows in the list are rendered partially, hence the browser cannot locate and find the remaining row's data when using the Ctrl+F. We recognized that this would be a challenge for some of our customers, so we implemented the quick filter functionality which allows you to quickly filter down the page content and see only the items that match your typed criteria. We do have plans to add a keyboard shortcut for activating the Quick Filter box, so it will be available soon. David, as for your question on why we didn't fully hijack the Ctrl+F, the reason is that unlike Google Sheets, we have other content on the screen both in current and planned designs, so we would still need it to work not only on the list, but the other parts of the page as well. I really appreciate all the feedback we get from Community threads, and I'll be delighted to discuss any list-related thoughts in person. If you kindly agree to have a detailed discussion, please check my calendar and book a call "https://calendly.com/lilitmkrtchyan/lists-discussion"> here . Thanks! Lilit Lilit Mkrtchyan Workfront

Level 10
Thanks for the background, the reassurance, and insight, Lilit. I appreciate them each, and now have a better understanding of where and why you're heading. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Yes, thanks Lilit! Knowing the performance will be improved does ease my pain greatly �� . Thank you for the explanation. I will also be able to use some of this explanation to my Users so they don't start picketing at my desk �� .

Level 10
Hi Lilit et al, So I'm seeing a different behavior now in Preview. The Ctl F is kinda working. You just can't trust the total count (i.e. 11/19) – it'll increase as it finds more. Before it only found what was literally showing on the screen. Do we know what to expect tomorrow?

Level 10
Hi Vic - I don't think that's changed...it just depends on which rows it has lazy-loaded. I wouldn't expect any changes other than you'll need to start using the filter button in Production :) David Cornwell

Level 10
Thanks David. Yeah, I understand I'll have to assimilate �� . I was just trying to get ahead of any questions and calls we'll get at our Helpdesk. So I'm trying to tell them what behavior to expect. I'll guess I'll find out tomorrow night �� .

Level 6
All, The change that I can't understand is why do I have to scroll to see the eighth and final task of a project when before we didn't have to. We don't need to see the task list in full screen, but is there a trick to make the task list a little bigger? I think before we could put 10 or 12 tasks on the project before we had to scroll down to see more. I also don't understand the benefit of condensing the row height while expanding the column header space. It feels like the tasks are running together at a glance. Jared Mauch Crown Equipment Corporation

Level 10
Hi Jared, I see 10 lines before needing to scroll...I guess it depends on the screen res. The thick blue line related to the preview environent will of course be gone when it's in Production, so that should add 1 or 2 more rows. However I would like it if Workfront could reduce the size of the white strip at the bottom of the screen....this is a waste of a row's space. It disappears when you scroll into full-screen view but it would be nice if it was always gone (red X area). David Cornwell

Level 10
Great shout on removing that wasted white space at the bottom! (FYI @Lilit Mkrtchyan ) Jamie Hill JLL

Level 2
Hi @Lilit Mkrtchyan , Thanks for the explanation behind [cmd+f] vs. filter function. I'm happy to trade [cmd+f] for improved performance, however, since the 2019.1 release this week, the filter seems to have a bug. In a project list, the filter results don't display in such a way that one could possibly click on it (top). There's no vertical scrolling. I have to zoom to 300% magnification before enough of the filter results display in such a way that I can access them (bottom). Trudie Gauerke