Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

2018.1 Release: My Home/My Work Area

Level 10
Hello ~ Has anyone heard if this is confirmed to take place on 3/18? Thank you! Susan
14 Replies

Level 10
Update: Release is March 2nd. Susan

Level 10
FYI, the toggle option will be available where users can decide which screen (My Home vs My Work) they wish to use. Same applies to mobile. Susan

Level 8
We will not be allowing our users to even "try it out" because it is fundamentally incomplete and would cause a lot of problems & confusion for our users. Unlike the current "My Work," there doesn't seem to be a way in the Home to ONLY see tasks that are "Ready to Start" - instead the user will see everything. This seems counterinitiative to everything Workfront is currently built on for its team members and makes "Home" in its current state unusable for our organization. Right now, you can select "Requests" in the Work List and you get ALL the requests you are on - but nothing that filters them to just "Ready to Start" requests: The critical area for our users in "My Work" to pick up ready-to-start on work and not be bogged down by items that aren't "ready": In fact, with the My Work area we tell our users never to even look at "All" in the "Work Requests" tabs because those tasks are not ready for them to work on and could cause problems in the overall timeline if they jump again and complete other tasks before their predecessors are complete. Our typical users have literally hundreds of tasks that would come up under the "All" but only maybe 5% to 10% are "Ready to Start." While we like the look of the new "Home" and where it may go, in its current form, we would not be able to use it in our organization. I've been told by the product managers that a Ready to Start filter will be in the 18.2 release mid-year. That is good news, but I told them I think it should be a more than a filter. That it should be obvious toggle above the Work List similar to how it is in requests on My Work. This is a critical item and should be more visible than just a filter. Matt May Stream Companies

Level 7
We had a team of volunteers test out the new Home area and the "Ready to start" task filter is definitely our biggest issue. However, the general consensus was they liked Home better than My Work and most thought they would be more likely to use it. These are their biggest issues with Home: There is no distinction between work requests that are "Ready to start" or not ready to start. They are all blended together in the work request list. This is a major problem as workers who rely on the work list will not know whether all predecessors are done (like whether copy has been approved, etc.). We think this will lead to a lot of wasted time and effort. When you click on a document approval: a lot of space is taken up by the PDF icon - clicking in this space does nothing; clicking the PDF icon "Failed to load PDF file"; there is no way to open the proof from here; it's kind of hard to find out how to get to the document details page (the little link below the big gigantic gray space isn't so obvious). If you click an approval option, you can't undo it from here. Given how hard it is to spot the link to the document page so you can open the proof, this could become an issue. When sorting the work list by Date, the expand toggle on Late tasks is very obscure. Only one of the six volunteers found it. Others asked why not all tasks were visible when sorting by Date. It's not obvious that the search only searches task name. Ideally the work list search function would search based on more than just task name. Our task names are all the same (they come from templates…) so at the least, we would need it to search by project name. There's no way to filter types of approvals - My approvals vs. work I've sent for approval is currently an option we use with My Work. Being able to delegate approvals on a project-by-project basis would make the delegate feature a lot more useful. "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=151&MessageKey=cd16adbd-546b-4369-9b94-e3cd96b2127e&CommunityKey=aaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2fdiscussions%2fcommunity-home%2fdigestviewer%3fcommunitykey%3daaafaff0-5e4e-4e38-8903-f1f990935567%26tab%3ddigestviewer">Here is the thread I started the week before last with all of their feedback. Barbara Sedlack BMO Financial Group

Level 10
hi Barbara, thanks for the list. We have issues in similar areas. I wanted to share a link that I got late last week (link below). It indicates more work being planned in the approvals and ready-to-start areas. Hopefully you and I can keep an eye on future changes and continue to give feedback.

Level 7
Ah, this is helpful! Thanks for sharing the list @Skye Boardman We are currently planning on allowing our users to opt in to Home, despite the Ready to start gotcha. We're going to do a demo and point out pros and cons. We'll see how it goes! Barbara Sedlack BMO Financial Group

Level 10
great! I wish your users luck! I am two steps behind you but will be demoing to a set of users tomorrow and hopefully some of them will adopt Home when it rolls out in 18.1 in March. -skye

Level 10
As others have already commented, the 'Ready to Start' & 'All' is a critical item. I also agree that a View is not sufficient - it should be a toggle that is right up front, with the Ready to Start as the default. We will not be providing users the ability to opt in. Marie Kelly The MetroHealth System

Level 10
Hello, Marie. We are in the same boat as you are. Do you use custom layout templates for your organization? It seems that is the only way to control the switch for visibility. Susan

Level 3
When this is released to Prod on 3.1 and 3.2 - will it defaults that all templates will 'Allow users with this template to try the Home area in place of My Work.'? We're not ready to roll this out yet so need to know if I need to remind myself to uncheck it in all layouts. I read that ' Users see the My Work area by default and can switch to the Home area (This is the default configuration)' so want to verify. Lindsay Carpenter Adecco NA

Level 8
I have the same question as @Lindsay Carpenter - we are on cluster 5, so 2018.1 will be live tomorrow, Friday, 3/2. We don't want our workers to see that they can try out the new home area. Are there any steps I can take to hide the button all together? To confirm, layout template settings will not change to show the home area by default? Thank you! Sydney Peterson Diversified Communications, Inc.

Level 8
If they have a layout template assigned, you can go into their layout template on the Customize Home tab, and disable access to try the new Home area. Our new 18.1 was implemented by 8:15 pm Pacific Time last night, so you might want to log in this evening and make the update before everyone logs on Friday morning.

Level 3
We also chose not to let our users try out the Home option, in part b/c of the missing "ready to start" function. One of our admins logged in at 5:30 a.m. the morning after the update ran and turned that option off. Since our notification email of the completion of the update didn't arrive until after 1 a.m. our time, this was a better option. The goal was to keep users from seeing it at all, an 5:30 worked for us. I will say, I'm very interested in the results from those of you who are having users test it. That will definitely be helpful when we do get ready to deploy it, which will hold for further iteration. Michelle Yard Insperity

Level 10
Yeah that's what I'm going to do tonight. Looks like they finished around 12:30am Mountain Time on the first group of clusters. I have two Layout Templates that cover my whole organization. I'm basically going to just flip the switch on both of them sometime after 12:30am. So to prepare, you'll want to make sure you have at least one Layout Template that covers your entire organization. If you already have multiple Layout Templates, just make sure you've got your whole organization covered and flip the switch on all of them. Otherwise, you'll have people falling through the cracks. Vic Alejandro, PMP, CSM | IT Program Manager Denver Water | t: (303-628-7262) | c: (303-319-6473) "http://www.denverwater.org/"> http://www.denverwater.org INTEGRITY | VISION | PASSION | EXCELLENCE | RESPECT