Expand my Community achievements bar.

19.3 Custom Conditions

Level 10
https://experience.workfront.com/s/article/Enhancements-Releasing-Prior-to-the-General-2019-3-Releas... Has anyone had a chance to test the Custom Conditions functionality and what did you think? :) I'm pretty excited to present this to my PMs as they were asking a few months ago for this functionality on Projects. I'm a bit concerned that visibility isn't controlled through group, but I think it would be OK for me to just apply some governance and direction to it up front. Interested to hear if anyone else has poked holes in this though. -skye
10 Replies

Level 10
We asked our people and they don't seem to care. It isn't as important to them as Progress Status. (They were hoping we could customize that). I am also a little confused why it is a global setting and not controlled via groups. Even if my people wanted it, I could never get all 3,000+ to decide on the same ones. LOL! Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 10
Every setting should be configurable at the Group level!!! Please!!! Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 3
Couldn't agree more - we really need to be able to do this by group in the same way as status is managed as we have separate groups operating on the instance who all have slightly different needs. Understand that we would still need to say what each new condition is equivalent to so that we Workfront knows how to handle them. Have raised an idea for this so that it is captured: https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z0000004Vu3AAE/detail Hopefully this is on the roadmap already and imminent. Andrew Parsons Refinitiv

Level 2
My only complaint is that the Project level still has the key values of 'ON' 'AR' and 'IT' - so it cannot be easily sorted to Green/Yellow/Red. On Tasks and other items, the key values are 1, 2, 3 - so ordering in a sort is easy. I'm still going to have to mask a custom value as "1-Green" "2-Yellow" just like I did "1-On Target" "2-At Risk". But at least I'll stop getting questions about "What does "At Risk" vs "In Trouble" mean?" Mark Lopez Centene Corporation

Level 10
I have to admit, we are not even looking at using Conditions or promoting it, especially since it is Global and not by Group. Soon we will have 4 separate Groups using our single Workfront instance to keep track of their own work, etc. We already having issues with the limitations surrounding Status and its relationships to Approval processes when it comes to Groups. I don't want to compound it. I had a good conversation with Workfront Development at Leap and a call yesterday with our CSM to illustrate the Status/Approval process "struggle". It's real! For Groups to have full autonomy within the tool, these 2 items should be addressed as a priority, in addition to custom field changes and condition. Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 10
Are you talking about how in order to use an approval process, that status has to be locked (visible) to all groups? Definitely not the best experience. -skye

Level 3
Hey everyone, I'm excited to see there is interest here around Custom Conditions. I definitely understand the need to have group based conditions. This is definitely something that was considered as part of the development on this. As I'm sure you know, with software development, you often make tradeoffs. In this case we decided that getting an initial ability to customize conditions out in a fairly quick, and performant way, was our highest priority. This does not mean that we are done and will never consider it. We are starting here with what you see in Preview today and will look to iterate as we can gather more usage, performance data, and customer feedback. Josh Hardman Product Manager, Workfront

Level 10
@Skye Hansen that is precisely the problem. A Status must be locked to use in an Approval Process....which make it VISIBLE to all Groups; it causes unnecessary confusion and clutter. Plus once you lock it for an Approval Process, none of the other Groups have the flexibility to rename it, etc. @Josh Hardman I'm glad to hear that this is just a starting point for changes to this particular feature. However, the Workfront product as a whole has been evolving to be more Group-centric over the last few years. So, Group should be the natural starting point for all downstream feature enhancements/changes, especially if a lot of people won't get a big boost in value because it's Enterprise-wide. As a client that's at least what I would like to see happen. Thanks again for all you do. :) Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU

Level 10
Should we all pile votes on Monique's Idea? (it feels like she's talking about the same thing we're talking about) https://experience.workfront.com/s/idea/0870z000000PSS9AAO/detail -skye

Level 10
I just upvoted. It's very similar. Admin Kelly-Wehrmann SSFCU