Expand my Community achievements bar.

New Licencing model for Workfront

Level 3

Hello everyone,

I'm currently dealing with the renewal of our Workfront contract and wanted to gather opinions on the new licensing model. It seems like a revenue-driven move, and the lack of advance notice going into the financial year isn't giving off a positive vibe.

It appears that all Planners and Workers will need to upgrade to the Standard license, which costs similar to what Planners currently do. Reviewers, previously free, now have to upgrade to Light, as the Contributor license is limited to making no more than 5 decisions a month (which I find quite perplexing).

The removal of basic functionality from the Light license, such as completing assigned tasks and generating proofs, means Workers have to be unnecessarily upgraded to Standard.

Has anyone gone through this process already and have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marta

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

32 Replies

Level 7

Thanks! @-Jaye - Please share the screenshot if possible.

Level 4

Hi @_Manish_Singh, @MartaSo is correct in that the Light license does not allow for create or delete with tasks. See screenshot below:

Jaye_0-1712235567540.png

Level 2

Sorry to break into the conversation. Our account rep said that Contributor accounts are automatically upgraded if they make more than 5 approvals. How does this work? Is this a permanent upgrade or can we downgrade the user if they only make 4 approvals the next month? Also, is there a report / notification about users that will be upgraded or were upgraded?

Employee

@jjsaunders the intent of the auto upgrade is to ensure that no user loses access while conducting critical work. You can simply downgrade them back to a contributor user. This would be recommended for users who don't consistently exceed the limit. You will receive a notification when someone is upgraded and you can track their decisions in the user table or via reports: https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/workfront/using/review-and-approve-work/ttt-approvals/vie...

Level 2

Thanks for the info. How does this auto upgrade work with group license limits?

Level 4

Wanted to pipe up and show something I came across today by happenstance:

Jaye_0-1715889718927.png

So it looks like you can turn this automatic function on or off via the "Disable auto-upgrade within Access Levels" checkbox. You can find it in Setup > System > Preferences.

Level 2

Thanks Jaye very helpful,
Do you - or anyone in the thread - happen to know the scheduling of the automatic upgrade Contributor => Light?
Every night? Every mm minutes?

Level 1

Adding our voice to the chorus. We're a large company. My team was the first to onboard Workfront in 2015 and since, many teams have joined us, with several new teams interested even this year.

Our problem is we are heavy Work licence users (12 plan to 48 work). All of the other teams in the company are less heavily balanced to Work licences. It seems we as a team will be paying the price for this change in licences since Adobe will creatively price our licences to even out the overall costs (so we've been told -- no quote yet!). So if for example Adobe tries to match the full company spend in the new structure, we as a team will be hit with a huge price increase. To be fair, most other teams may see a discount... if only we could get them to give us their money, but as well all know, that's not how it works.

And that doesn't even take into account having to pay for what was previously FREE -- reviewers!

Honestly, we're already starting to look at competitors. Lots to think about.

Level 4

Wanted to add on to my previous comment on this thread as I'm not sure where else to put it, but hoping it helps someone in their decisions during their renewal period.

I previously said "if you're considering the Select plan, be aware of the potential for reduced functionality compared to what you're currently accustomed to" and we've encountered this again with the upcoming new release of "Sandbox Environment promotion" (a "push to production" function). This was a feature that's been long-awaited by many Workfront users, including my team. We've been hearing about it off and on for what seems like forever!

However, with the announcement email, it specified it was available for "eligible customers", so we reached out to our rep to see what that meant.

Be forewarned that "eligible customers" does not include customers on the Select package, only the Prime and Ultimate packages. I imagine we can expect there to be other functionalities in the future that will also be unavailable to us on the Select package.

Good luck out there!