Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Experience Platform - Will Segment Update Automatically Per Data Ingestion?

Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know the mechanism of how AEP update profile and segments when profile attributes are updated at the source. Case as follow:

I have a third party CRM data source where data will be updated and sent to AEP on a daily basis. On AEP, I have set a segment for Tier 1 membership and Tier 2 membership separately.

In instances like when a profile shifted from Tier 2 to Tier 1, may I know if AEP will automatically update both the profile attribute and the segments? (i.e. updating membership tier to tier 2 on profile attribute and remove the profile from Tier 2 membership segment and add the profile to Tier 1 membership segment) Or do I need to set up protocols for it to update?

Day 1Day 2
User NameXYZXYZ
Membership TierTier 2Tier 1
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

7 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @Ho_YinTa 

It happens on its own provided the data is ingested every day. Segment evaluation would happen every 24 hour and would take into account the profile membership at the time of evaluation.

Hope this is what you were looking for as an answer.

Regards,

Abhinav

Level 1

Hi Abhinav,

Understood, thank you for answering the question.

Following up on my question, if I pushed both segments to Google Ads on Day 1, even though Adobe has updated the profile attributes & the segments, will the shift in membership tier happened on Day 2 reflect on Google Ads too?

Community Advisor

Taking into account the processing time. It will reflect as soon as processing is complete.

Community Advisor

Hey @Ho_YinTa

Did the last response address your query ? Feel free to add any specifics you are looking for.

Regards,

Abhinav

Level 3

Hi @abhinavbalooni ,

I am interested in this as well!

Let's consider a scenario where we have two segments in RTCDP, 'Segment 1' and 'Segment 2', representing 'Tier 1' and 'Tier 2' membership levels of our client's business, respectively, based on the customer's Lifetime Value (LTV) spending.

• On Day 1, we have a user, Rachel, who is in the 'Tier 1' membership level. Consequently, she falls into 'Segment 1' and this information is pushed to Google Ads.

• By Day 2, Rachel has increased her spending and now qualifies for the 'Tier 2' membership. As a result, she now falls into 'Segment 2', and this updated information is pushed to Google Ads.

I understand that RTCDP will now reflect Rachel's new status as a 'Tier 2' member. However, since Rachel was originally pushed to Google Ads as a part of 'Segment 1' (or 'Tier 1'), and now she is in 'Segment 2' (or 'Tier 2'), will Google Ads automatically remove Rachel from 'Segment 1'?

My concern arises from the apparent one-way data flow to Google Ads, where it seems that information once pushed cannot be retracted or updated. Can you provide some clarification on this?

Thanks for your help.
Allen

Community Advisor

Hi @Ho_YinTa @yesraptors12 

Apologies ! I thought I had addressed this bit but then came back to see I havent done it yet.

There are two parts to this, one is segment qualification within AEP and then that reflecting in Google Ads. Segment qualification in AEP - Here the user moves from Tier 1 to Tier 2 segment - so they are in either of the two segments. Now coming to exporting and activating it in Google Ads. In this scenario, when the user becomes part of Tier 2 on day 2 there is no signal from AEP telling that the user is not part of Tier 1 segment. There is no automatic unsegmentation of the user from Tier 1 segment. How this would work would be something like this, if you want to target Tier 1 folks who have not yet moved to Tier 2, you would add an exclusion in Google Ads interface, to say the audience should be part of Tier 1 but not of Tier 2 yet and something similar for any other business requirement that takes into account the no automatic unsegmentation in Google Ads.

Adding a link to a very nice post on the topics by Pedro Monjo from a few years back. Though this one is based on AAM segments but functionality wise is similar on the activation side. 

https://www.pedromonjo.com/2016/04/unsegmenting-vs-suppression-segments.html

Cheers,

Abhinav