Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to deal with IT concerns about synchrous loading of DTM

Former Community Member

My IT team is really concerned about the need for synchrous loading of DTM. They'd prefer to load it asynchrously so that if the call fails, the page will load anyhow. Barring that, they want it to load last. If loaded asynchrously, my event based rules fire but my page load rules don't and my data elements don't work.

Has anyone dealt with similar concerns or do you have suggestions for ways to implement that won't result in us relying on the call working perfectly?

7 Replies

Level 8

Hi,

Would you by chance happen to know why your data elements and page load rules don't work with asynchronous loading? (Do they work alright when loaded synchronously?)

Two common problems faced revolve around a rule not having enough time to collect data or an event not inciting a page load. In case, that's the problem, Here's some documentation on how to resolve it.

If not, let me know and I'll try to dig up some more info.

Rahul

Former Community Member

I was told by Adobe support that DTM is not supported asynchronously. We have some pages that were coded by a vendor where it was coded synchronously and on those pages it works fine.

Level 8

Hi,

So...does that solve your problem? I can't really tell from your post.

Let me know

Regards

Rahul

Level 8

Hi there,

Could you kindly let us know if you're still facing the problem or if it's resolved.

Regards

Rahul

Level 3

The problem exists, and it is just one of the many we have with DTM's architecture. Every IT department has an issue with synchronous loading of JS files, and they should.

We have run into this with every IT department where we wanted to implement DTM. A Tag Management System or anything that revolves mostly around tracking should never load synchronously. 

A better solution in my opinion is Tealium which is by default all-asynchronous, but where you can put an extra snippet in there on sites that require synchronous tags like A/B Testing. It also has much easier data-element-to-tag mapping functionality.

Former Community Member

No, it's not resolved. I'll only be able to use DTM for event based tags.

Level 8

My apologies.

You can push this as a suggestion to the DTM folk by posting this here.

Regards

Rahul