Expand my Community achievements bar.

DTM counts visitor's sessions differently than I expected.

Level 1

I was testing DTM's Page Load Rule with the Condition set to Sessions > 1. 

When I test the rule, the rule did not fired even though I revisited the website by closing and reopening a browser tab. 

I checked the session counter in the browser javascript console. It reminded at 1.

_satellite.visitorSessionCount();

Finally, I have to dig deep into satellite's javascript code and find out that DTM tracks sessions by using a browser session cookie.

A browser session cookie only expires when the browser window is closed (technically browser process is closed) and not when a browser tab closes.

That means the sessions are counted differently than Adobe Analytics and Google Analyics . Not only sessions count is different, DTM's new and return visitors condition depends on the sessions count (return visitor are 

Yikes. I cannot use the DTM's Sessions condition, New / Returning visitors condition to drive Page Load Rule.

4 Replies

Level 2

Hi,

I've run into the same problem, I believe that would be a good idea that sessions be equal than Adobe Analytics, in terms to create cookies or do conditions that matching with Adobe Analytics principles.

Best,

Julià.

Employee

This is as intended.  Remember that DTM was built to deploy ANY marketing or analytics script so these settings are the browser settings and not those of a specific tool that is deployed in it.

-Rudi

Level 1

Thanks Rudi.

I wish the DTM document would define each Rule Condition Criteria. Better DTM document will save me (may be others) hours just trying to figure out how each of the criteria actually works.

Level 3

Thanks for the input, Raymond. I'm working on augmenting the associated documentation on DTM rule conditions to make the method more clear. I'll share the link on this thread when the content update is complete.

Best,

Anna