Expand my Community achievements bar.

Text Box Problem

Level 1

Firstly, I apologize if this question is absurdly stupid or is easily solved.  Unfortunately, I'm not only new to LiveCycle, I'm also new to modifying PDFs.

This is my ordeal:  I was given a form that was in WordPerfect format.  Due to obvious reasons, we decided that we wanted this form to be converted to a newer, more highly supported format.  The form, while in WordPerfect, is a one page form that contains a text/narrative field.  There is no way to know how much text will be placed into this field.  On the WordPerfect form, if the field grew too large it simply pushed the form to the next page, creating a 2 page report.  I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to do this in LiveCycle.  I've searched the forums and tried all types of things, but I've come up with nothing.

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask . . . This is something I desperately need to get taken care of.

Thanks,

Justin

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Firstly the form must be saved as a dynamic form for this to work. Secondly the root subform (Page level) must e a flowed subform to allow for adding pages dynamically. Third the field in question must be set for multi-line and be allowed to grow in teh Y axis(there is a check box on the Layout palette for this).

I suspect that your form will not be of the right structure as well depending on how you converted the WordPerfect file over it may not allow you to save it as dynamic. Try my suggestions and if you cannot do it mail me the form as it is and the word perfect doc (in case w ehave to reimport it). Send it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com and include a description of the issue in your email.

Paul

Level 1

Unfortunately I am unable to send the form.  The form is confidential, sadly.  I will try playing around with it, I suppose.  Thanks for the help!

Level 1

The form has been saved as a Dynamic XML Form.  I set the text box to "Expand to Fit" on the Y-Axis.  I'm unsure of how to set the page level to flowed subform, if you could help me out there.

But, at this point, the text box does not expand, it just adds a scroll bar and the text keeps filling up that small space.

Former Community Member

There is a sample of this that shipd with Designer. The Dynamic Interactive purchase order has a comment field that is set to expand like you want (note that it will only expand when you leave the field not while you are filling it). See how the form is separated into sections and how each section has a positioned subform that spans the width of the page. Then the Page subform is set to flowed (highlight the page on the hierarchy view and on the Object palette there is a Subform tab - the Content dropdown has this setting).

Paul