Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tabbing order problems

Level 4

Hi all.  I'm having a problem with setting the tabbing order in Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.  I've tried to set the tab order by going to "View" and then "Tab Order".  However, halfway down the first page of the form, the green numbers stop, and it doesn't show on the rest of that page and the tab numbering doesn't show up on the second page, and I can't click on it to bring the tab order number up to set it correctly.  Any help with this?  Is there another way to set tab orders?

Thanks all for your help.

Connie

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

My personal preference is to leave the Tab order to Automatic. The important thing to bear in mind that the tabbing order is very much affected by the relative x/y coordinates of objects to each other, working from the top/left down the form.

Also once the tab has entered into an object in a subform, it will work through the objects in that subform and then pop back out into the rest of the form.

If an object is very a fraction of an inch above another object, it will get the focus first.

Lastly, I would recommend that you use the snap to grid when designing forms, as this will help keep objects perfectly alighed. You can also use the align tools.

See here: http://assure.ly/gBUUXB.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

I had a close issue of the same magnitude.

Quick background:

1. Form was essentially designed in MS WORD
  2. Saved as PDF
  3. Opened in Adobe Live Cycle as (Create an Interactive Form with Fixed Pages)
  4. I had other versions of the forms with the fields already in place, I copied and pasted all form fields into my new version

Issues:

Tab order worked in Preview PDF

Cause: I discovered that a HyperLink e-mail address that was put in while designing the form in MS WORD was the cause

Solution: Changed the hyperlink to regular text.  I made it blue and underlined it (Looks like a hyperlink).  Saved form as PDF

and opened it up back in Adobe Live Cycle. Customized tab order slightly by going to Window > Tab Order and making custom modifications.

Issue is resolved.

Level 1

I, too, am having problems with tab order.

I have a two-page form created in LiveCycle Designer. There are 66 fields on the 1st page of the form, and 65 fields on page 2. When I use Window > Tab order to examine the tab order, all is as it should be (except for one thing, discussed later). However, when I go into the Preview PDF tab (or load the form in Acrobat X Pro), field 4 on page 1 tabs to field 42 (on page 1). Additionally, tabbing from field 41 on page 1 takes me to field 43 on page 2.

I can use Action Builder to ensure that the tab goes to the appropriate field, but that seems a rather kludgy way to go about it.

And that additional problem: I've got three text fields on page 1 that are of type Protected. According to the documentation, "The protected field is not included in the tabbing sequence and it does not generate events.", yet all three fields are in the tab order.

What (if anything) am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Level 1

Problem solved.

I had to switch to Automatic tab sequencing, then switch back to Custom and make a few changes.