Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Some observations on the P2P RTMFP Demo app

Level 3

Not sure if you guys are aware of this or if it's actually meant to work this way but here it goes.

I set up the P2P demo app and laucnhed it in 2 windows. I logged into one as a owner and guest in the other. All works fine and I am connected via RTMFP. I can talk and send cam.

After a minute or less the connection falls to hub and spoke. I'm not sure why - should it do that? Initially the RTMFP communications seem fine.

I also played with the sound codec change. It appeared that the audio got cut off somehow and I wasn't able to hear myself again after I changed the codec.

Lastly, when I refreshed the guest window it seemed that a new connection between the onwer and guest did not work properly, I culd not communicate back and forth until I refreshed both browsers.

This is not meant to be a criticism, just some observations. Who knows, it could be a bug, very hard to tell I guess from what I described. The overall feeling I got with this demo app (as well as with some of my own RTMFP experiments with Stratus) was that RTMFP seems to kind of work, but also feels a bit unpredictable.

I'm really keen to use the low latency RTMFP features, it is so much better especially when using speex as well.

Cheers

Stefan

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the feedback - we don't take it as criticism when things don't work well; we want to fix it =). The extra eyes during beta definitely help us do that.

I'll let Hironmay answer the other 2 pieces, but for codec change, I caught this (weird) note in the ASDocs for the player just the other day :

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/langref/flash/media/Microphone.html#rate

"Note: If you are using the Speex codec (Microphone.codec = SoundCodec.SPEEX) for Flash Player 10 and AIR 1.5 or later, the default rate value is 16kHz. If you use the Speex codec and then change the codec value to Nellymoser (Microphone.codec = SoundCodec.NELLYMOSER), the rate continues to be set to 16kHz until you explicitly set the rate to a new value. To receive audio using Flash Player releases before Flash Player 10 and AIR releases before AIR 1.5, change both the codec and the rate values when you publish the audio.

"

So, that's a little bit of a PITA - I don't know if that fixes your issue (you'd have to get AudioPub.microphone.rate and set it to an accepted NellyMoser rate like 22). We'll try to wrap this in AudioPublisher so that it knows how to keep audio going as you change codecs.

nigel

Former Community Member

Hi Stefan,

For the first question, I am not sure why your connection will drop to hub-spoke after some time if initially it wasP2P. There are only few things that decide the type of connection a) the number of audio/camera streams b) the player version of every person logged. Does it happen with you always ? We have done some testings ourselves but we didn't faced such issue. Try with a clean room couple of times and let me know if such a behavior exists i.e. connection drops from p2p to hub-spoke, also let us know number of app instances and the player versions.

As for the sound codec change, is it again something recurring. I will run some tests on our side. Are you connecting within adobe network or from outside?

Please let us know if sucha behavior reproduces as we would be really glad to fix these issues on our side whenever developers hit them.

Thanks

Hironmay Basu

Level 3

I've just tried it again. I am running Flash Debug Player 10,0,12,36

I open two Firefox windows, log in as user and guest and start streaming both ways with same cam/mic. After less than a minute I get an update in the text field on the right saying that connection is hub-spoke. Initially when I stream that field is empty.

I also tried with Firefox on one side and Safari on another. Same thing happened. The RTMFP for both users remained at true.

Regards,

Stefan

Employee

Do you see anything strange in the logs ? (or better, can you send us your logs ?)

Also, just to understand your environment so we can try to reproduce it, are your machines "wired" to the network or wireless ?

I guess you are running two instances of your app on the same machine. That should work just fine, but just because I am superstitious can you run your test between two machines ? (just wondering if by any chance the protocol gets "confused" when the two peers are on the same physical network device)

Former Community Member

Hi,

I will try on our side and let you know any possible reasons for the switch. It could be we have a bug on our side.

Thanks for reporting.

Regards

Hironmay Basu

Level 3

I've only got 5 log entries for that room and I created the room specifically for this app so it was a virgin room. All 5 log entries refer to webcam.

I can try with my laptop and desktop when I get a chance.

Cheers

Stefan