Expand my Community achievements bar.

Setting up Designer Margins for Printing

Level 2

Good Afternoon,

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I continually find that my form pages are outside of the normal print margins for a standard 8.5in x 11in paper. So far the only solution I have found is to select "Pagearea1" underneath "Master Page" and change the 'Paper Type' to 'Letter'. This seems to set the correct page width/height, but I have a concern about margins, I want to be sure the form always prints correctly regardless of the users printer settings. Is there a way to also set a margin? Also, is there a better way to do this or is the method I described the correct way?

2 Replies

Level 8

Ya make sure that whatever paper you're using to print is the same size as that of your MasterPage.

Also, you'll notice when creating a form from scratch, Designer creates a Content Area for which all objects can't be outside of. For my version of Designer the content area is half an inch smaller than the page area on every side. That creates padding for the purpose of printing and general aesthetics. You can always change the size from the Master Pages view.

If you want to force the printer to always print inside its margins, you can create a button the user presses to print with the following code in the click event (JavaScript):

var MyDoc = event.target;

var pp = MyDoc.getPrintParams();

var fv = pp.constants.flagValues;

pp.flags |= (fv.setPageSize);

pp.pageHandling = pp.constants.handling.shrink;

MyDoc.print(pp);

Kyle

Level 10

Just seconding Kyle's comment on the Content Area in the Master Pages. Set the size of the Content Area to be smaller than your page size (half inch is good for printing).