Expand my Community achievements bar.

Screen share updates

Level 2

Hi LCCS Team,

I have been checking in to see if there have been any updates released for screen share since March.

Reason why I am asking is that I am still not seeing the screen share pop-up when trying to select

what to share on Windows 7 64-bit. Any ETA on when we should expect for this fix to go out?

Thanks you,

Michael

6 Replies

Level 2

Hi LCCS Team,

Following up on my prior post. When are you planning to release a bug fix for the Windows7/Vista bug where the add-in pop-up doesn't force focus to the front of the screen? Only clicking on the add-in button on the Windows toolbar seems to be the fix at this point for now.

Thanks,

Michael

Former Community Member

Hi Michael,

We are looking into possible fixes, but here's where we are :

A) The bug only affects IE on these systems

B) The bug is actually in IE moreso than the addin - essentially, clicking

within the browser causes it to maintain focus above and beyond any popups

emanating from that browser.

So, it's one of these sticky situations where it's not fully in our

control. We're still contemplating whether there's any way around it, but

it's not coming any time soon.

nigel

Level 2

Nigel,

Thank you for the update. I really appreciate it. I did some testing within the Adobe Connect 8 service. Screen share seems to popup

correctly within that framework. Is there a way to somehow create that kind of environment using the addin?

Thanks,

Michael

Former Community Member

Hi Michael,

Well, the secret with connect is that the path to launching the add-in

doesn't involve clicking inside the browser (the HTML area) - it launches

the addin immediately upon travelling to that page.

Actually, an experiment you could try with IE to see if you get the same

results we are :

1) Travel to a connect room with "?launcher=false" on the URL. This will

cause you to enter the room without launching the addin.

2) Click "Share My Screen" (or whatever the button is called now). This

should attempt to launch the addin. BUT, based on my testing, because you

just clicked a button INSIDE the browser, it launches the addin behind the

browser. Connect even tries to mitigate this by attempting to close the

existing browser window.

Firefox has no problems with this workflow, based on our testing.

nigel

Level 2

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your response. Very appreciated.

I have tried the same coding logic on my end as well and as you suggested, the addin screen loads correctly when loaded

directl but loads in the tray without exposing its window when a click action was taken to trigger the addin.

Are there any work arounds that you can think of? Maybe some hacks? Thinking along the lines of triggering an embedded

html call, passing along the session ID. This one is preventing me from making money on my app since I can't

possibly launch this given the high usage rate of IE browsers and the poor customer experience that I would bestow on

my customer.

Thanks,

Michael

Level 2

I have experienced this bug in Firefox 3.6 on XPSP3, by the way, but it's rare, intermittent and unpredicatble, so I'm not too concerned.

As far as the IE bug, I second that. As for a possible solution, I am far from a JavaScript expert, it's really not my field, but maybe there's some JS hack you could employ to block the browser from stealing focus from the Flash Player (thus triggering this bug?) or maybe using one of the WMODE settings to make the Flash Player appear over top of any HTML content? If it's an IE browser issue, maybe there isn't anything that can be done, short of writing an ActiveX control that finds the Connect window and restores focus (is this even possible?) but of course that would further reduce usability. Again, don't know if any one of those would work, just throwing a few ideas out there.

AppMeister, is this bug unique to Vista/Win 7? Does it still come up in XP SP3? What versions of IE does this show up in? My current workflow is all Firefox at the moment, and we're not at the QA testing phase of our project.

Nigel,

This is a possible huge issue for us as well, given the numbers of possible IE users who may encounter this bug. I would request the LCCS and/or the Connect Add-in team really spend some cycles coming up with a fix for this if they expect enterprise development for this product to take off. Thanks again for your help,

Joseph Balderson

Flex & Flash Platform Developer

http://joeflash.ca