Expand my Community achievements bar.

Running Number Form to Certificate?

Level 1

Hello,

I am tasked to make a certificate for my company that has an auto-updating field so that each one produced for a client or customer is unique. The certificate is issued for recycling purposes, so each one needs to be unique so that we can match it to our records for proof of recycling if it is ever needed. I would like to have this number based off the date the form was generated and the sequential order it was generated in, just to keep things streamline and easy to keep in our records themselves.

For instance, the first form generated today, January 13, 2012 would be " 011312-01," the second would be "011312-02" and the ninety-nineth would be "011312-99" etc etc ect

I see fields that let me put in the current date but I'm assuming some deeper work would be required here. We would be sharing the form on a public server, so I'm assuming it would have to be saved after each use? Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi Dan,

Unless you are connecting the form to a database or backend system, it will be difficult to keep track of the sequential number. How about using a date and time field, so that the sequential part of the number is the time component?

Good luck,

Niall