Expand my Community achievements bar.

Required Field on Hidden Subform

Level 2

Hi,

I have a number of hidden sub-forms which only become visible to the user if they choose a certain option otherwise they will never see this part of the form.  If they do select this option and the form becomes visible then it is mandatory that they complete it.  However if I make the fields on the hidden form 'User Entry - Required' and the end user does not choose the option that makes them visible and therefore required they will be unable to complete the form ?

Is there a way of making fields 'User Entry - Required' only when the form (fields) becomes visible ?

2 Replies

Level 4

Not quite sure how you have you visible methods setup, but you can set a field to be mandatory using something like xfa.form.form1.TextField1.mandatory = "error";. So for example you could create a button with a click event using that on a text field. If the user clicks the button it will make TextField1 mandatory. My suggestion would to set the fields as Optional and then on your visibile method add in the mandatory line and set each field to mandatory.

Level 2

Hi Josh Many thanks for your reply.

I only started using LiveCycle last week so I am working at a very basic level and I am not a computer programmer.  I have the visibility method setup as follows:

The main form that all users will see contains a dropdown menu with option YES or NO

In Action Builder I have created an action as follows: if the text in the drop down menu is changed to YES then a additional form on a separate page will expand for the user to complete. 

As I said earlier if the user selects YES from the drop down menu then it is mandatory to complete this expanded form.  The expanded form contains a number of text fields which I want to make mandatory only if the user selects YES.

Sorry for being a bit slow here but I would appreciate it very much if you could explain again for a beginner.....................