Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Problem submitting form data to FTP server

Level 1

Hi

Sorry for the newbie question, and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere--I wasn't sure what to search for!

I've created a form that I will disseminate to a large group of people. After filling the form, I'd like them to be able to hit a submit button that sends the data (or the entire form, whichever is most effective) to an FTP server that will store the data so I can import it into a .response file and eventually export to Excel.

The web team at my university has set up an FTP server that has login credentials for a dropbox and different credentials to manage files in that dropbox. When you visit the sites in firefox, it asks you for a login.

I've created the submit button on the form, and I followed the steps included in the LC Designer help. I've tried all four "submit as" options. My FTP site address is in the "Submit to URL:" box (as ftp://xx.server.edu, where xx and server are the location provided to me by the web team). When save it, open it in Acrobat, and insert test data into the form and press submit, however, nothing happens. I get no login dialogue, and no files appear in the dropbox.

The server people don't think it's an issue on their end, as I can access the FTPs through a browser, so clearly I'm doing something wrong with the design of the form or the setup of the Submit button.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

1 Reply

Former Community Member

Acrobat/Reader does not support the FTP protocol. You could submit via HTTP to an interneadiary program and have that do the FTP submission on your behalf. Or that pragram could write the data file to the file system (assuming it is on the same physical hardware).

Paul