Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Populate submit button target email with field?

Level 1

Hi, this may have already been asked. Is it possible to populate a submit button email target using the contents of another field / text box?

Say I have emailfield1 and submitbutton1. Is it possible to have submitbutton1 target = emailfield1? I'd like a way of generating a reply to whichever email address is keyed in emailfield1.

Thanks

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

You can! There are two sample forms here: http://assure.ly/eUR4wJ, depending on the min version of Acrobat/Reader that the user has. Look at the third example on each form and adapt to suit.

Niall

Level 1

Thanks Niall - just what I was looking for. I'm trying to do a quick example in LiveCycle to see if I can get this to work. Everytime I click the submit / email button Outlook tries to launch.

Any ideas on how I can test this without needing an active Outlook account?

Level 10

Acrobat can't send its own emails so it has to call an email client.

Unfortunately this is quite flaky and doesn't always work. It seems to work most well with Outlook but I've found it can depend on the operating system - on my Win7 64bit system it doesn't work. And I could never get it to work with Thunderbird.

Also, it doesn't work if someone is using web-based email.

Level 10

Hi,

What you could do in that case is use a "save-as" script in the button, with an xfa.host.messageBox() alert to the user instructing them to save the form to their computer and then manually attach it to an email. Be that they are using their email client or an online email account.

Niall