Expand my Community achievements bar.

Password protect form structure

Level 3

Hello,

I am looking for a way to password protect the code/structure of the form but leave everything else open/unsecure ie filling, printing, emailing, ect.  Is there a way to do this?  I don't want the user to see the protection.  If someone was to open the form in Livecycle ES2 I wouldn't want someone to be able to make changes unless they entered a password.

Justin

8 Replies

Level 5

Hi Justin,

the only thing which you can do is to secure the form for the development modus.

Means Adobe Reader user could use the form normaly.

If anybody want open the form in the LiveCycle Designer he can't open the form without the password.

If you need this do the following:

File | Form Properties | PDF-Security | activate "Permissions..."

secureCode.jpg

Hope it will helps,

Mandy

Level 3

I only want it password protected if someone tries to make a change to it using livecycle though.  Basically I need a way of password protecting the code/structure without the user being prompted for a password each time the form is opened using reader.

Level 5

Yes. Then you have to do the same as the screenshot shows above.

Then can't nobody open your form in the LiveCycleDesigner ad see your script.

Nobody needs the password for open the form for filling in the Adobe Reader.

You have to deactivate the "Require a password to open...". If this checkd then every time you need the password if you open the form with the Adobe Reader.

Kind regards Mandy

Level 3

Ok I think I'm not being clear.  I need a way to password protect a Reader Extended PDF so people can't open it with Livecycle ES2 and make changes.  What you are telling me is accurate but after I follow your steps and then save the pdf with extended rights the password protection is gone so I can then open it just fine in Livecycle ES2.

I appreciate your feedback but it won't work with a Reader Extended PDF.

You would think there would be some code I could run that would check to see if it's livecycle opening it or a way to encrypt the xml.

Level 5

Ok step by step. (On my laptop I haven't the Acr Pro therefore I can't give extended rights.)

1. File New
  2. For example I took few objects per Drag and Drop
  3. File | Form Properties | PDF-Security | activate "Permissions..." and set the folllowing settings.
  4. PDFS.jpg
  5. Then I save the form.
  6. The following dialog appears
  7. password.jpg
  8. 1 took 123
  9. I close the form
  10. I open the form with the Reader, everything is ok.
  11. I open the form with the LCD and I need the password.

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=4OCf4qCBRJ4yXgRGNSvhrA

Level 3

Ok, again.  This works....yes.  This DOES NOT WORK though if you are extending the rights using Acro Pro as I have already mentioned.  So AGAIN I need a way of achieving this.  You repeating the steps in the fashion you have only assures me that you did not read the previous message.

Level 5

Hi Justin,

I repeated the steps only that I can sure that we make the same!

I worked since many years with the LCD and I'm also a supermoderator in a german forum discussion  and I use always this way to secure my code for changing. Afterwards I always activate the extended rights and it works fine!! Everytime! Maybe it's a problem of your version? I need for this steps the LCD ES (8) and ES (9) 2.

No idea what you are doing or what's the problem in your case. I'm only trying to help you.

Kind regards Mandy

Level 3

Adobe Acro Pro X 10.1.6

Adobe Livecycle designer ES2 9.0

And no it still does not work.  You are using a very dated version of both applications and thus they are giving different results.  I'll just repost this to see if someone out there with updated applications has the fix.