Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Open a random PDF document using Javascript

Level 2

Hello,

I am trying to create a button in my XDP form that will function as a standard "Open Page" link in a typical PDF.  I want to be able to define the file path and the page number of a PDF and open the document in a new window to that page.

The target documents are provided by a third party and I have no ability to dictate format or anything else.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

I found the answer.  radzmar was partially right.  It did use app.openDoc but required a trusted function and an extra command:

var mydoc = app.openDoc(path);

mydoc.pageNum = page;

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

You can specify the page number as part of the URL, so

app.launchURL("http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/js_api_reference.pdf#page=30", true)

Opens the "JavaScript for Acrobat API Reference" at page 30.

Regards

Bruce

Level 2

I need to open this in adobe standard NOT a web browser so the user can make edits to the target document.  LaunchURL won't work.  Is there anything like that to launch local files?

Level 10

There's also a openDoc method available to launch locally stored files.

try {

// Open the "other.pdf" in the same directory

app.openDoc("./other.pdf", event.target);

// Close this doc

event.target.closeDoc(true);

} catch (e) {}

Correct answer by
Level 2

I found the answer.  radzmar was partially right.  It did use app.openDoc but required a trusted function and an extra command:

var mydoc = app.openDoc(path);

mydoc.pageNum = page;