Expand my Community achievements bar.

Need help switching from LiveCycle to Distiler.

Former Community Member

Hey, guys.  Total n00b here.  I am having problems selecting Distiller as my default form editor.

My PC runs:

• XP Pro Service Pack 3
  • Office Pro 2003
  • Acrobat Pro 9

Last week I could not print anything doe to an error with my print spooler.  Microsoft's suggestion was to edit the registry and remove all 3rd party print software.  I am assuming this created a hit on Acrobat's functionality.  In the past when I would edit fields, Distiller was my default choice.  But ever since my registry hack, when I Go to Forms >> to edit, I no longer am able to use Distiller.  My default is now LiveCycle Designer 8.2.  I would like to go back to using Distiller, but I do not know how to change back.  Is there something really, really easy I'm missing here, or do I simply need to uninstall and reinstall the entire Acrobat Pro 9 package?  I have confirmed that Distiller is still installed on my machine.

I followed this Microsoft KB article if anyone thinks this will help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810894

Thanks!

2 Replies

Level 10

I'm not sure what your talking about.

You can design and edit PDF forms either using Acrobat itself or LiveCycle Designer (when form are dynamic and XML-based).

Distiller is not an Editor.

Former Community Member

Turns out I don't know a lot about Acrobat, but the poor girl I was trying to help knows even less.  I figured out what her real problem was when I actually got to look at her PC.  Her propblem was that she could not fill form fields, even when allowed by security, because she was using Acrobat Pro and these PDFs were enabled with extra settings for Reader.  I simply saved a copy with a different name and could fill the forms.  She kept saying she was using Distiller, but I don't think she knew what she was talking about.  She was just surprised that she's been using Acrobat since May and yesterday was the first day that LiveCycle turned on.  Thanks for the relies though.