Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is this even possible or am I in way over my head?

Level 1

Newfag here, please help

So I was on craigslist and a staffing company had a job offer to convert over a 100 forms to be fillable via pdf. I took the offer and told them that adobe acrobat pro 8 can do this with livecycle. I thought it would be easy to just go in and start putting in text fields, radio buttons, check boxes, etc. and now ive run into trouble.

Here is what they want:

1.The files to become fillable and then they want to upload them on their website server for download of clients.

2. They want a submit button for the completed forms to be sent to a certain email which they will provide when they get one.

3. They want it user friendly, but when it comes to the digital signatures whats the best and easiest way to go while retaining its legal aspects.

(These forms are applications and contain direct deposit forms, I-9, EE-01, stuff like that.)

4.Basically so a client can go on their website, download the pdf forms, fill them out, and send them to an email.

5. Also ive downloaded the I-9 and W-4 forms from the govt website, but theyre not gonna offer me an option to edit and put a submit button, or save. Should I just scan those in?

So is this even possible? All I know is I can make text fields etc. and save it as a static 7 to be uploaded on the server.

If you can help me with any part of these fields Id really appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read!

and I made a submit button and tried to send it to my email to test it out, mailto:myemail@email.com but I get an error with outlook. Do i have to set up outlook a certain way? and is everyone who fills out the forms going to have that hassle?

1 Reply

Former Community Member

What you are explaining is possible to do.  I have designed a number of forms where I have consolidated many documents into one PDF.  In order to do this to offer the best user experience for those filling the form out you have to understand the company's requirements.  Are they wanting one PDF form which a user can select from a dropdown or radio button the type of form they want to fill out.  Do they want a design in which the customer can fill out different forms in the same pdf and then email the final results back to the designated email address?

#1  If all they want to do is add have the form accessible via their website they just need to add the pdf form to a site page or set a link to the location of the pdf of the server.

#2  When using the mailto function what script language are you using?  FormCalc or JavaScript?  Beyond this, are they wanting a filled in PDF form returned via email or just the data which can be passed back to the company via XML script in the email?

#3  I don't like to incorporate digital signatures into the documents I create unless I know how they plan to use the forms and if the company's legal department approves a digital signature as opposed to liquid.  The best thing you can do is check with the company's legal department to see if a digital signature on the forms you are creating is acceptable for these types of document.

#4  You had the right idea with the email button but you also need to Reader Extend the PDF form but the company or you (depending on who Reader Extends the form) needs to be aware of the licensing agreement for Reader Extensions unless one is purchased which can become expensive.

#5  As far as the forms you pulled off the Governments website, you need to create your own version of the form and incorporate into the single consolidted form you are creating.

Best of luck on this project.

J Black