Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is the Global Document Storage (GDS) used in Rights Management?

Former Community Member

I am setting up an Adobe LiveCycle ES3 server exclusively for Rights Management; and I am wondering if the folder for the Global Document Storage (GDS) will contain any files that need to be backup'ed in case for system recovery. 

TS

3 Replies

Level 1

Global Document Storage (GDS) is an integral part of LiveCycle and it must be backed up along with database ,  irrespective of the LiveCycle module in use .

Please ensure that the backup of the GDS and DB should be in sync  as the GDS stores the files themselves and references of those files( that the processes use) are stored in the database.

Please refer the below link for backup and recovery :

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/10.0/AdminHelp/WS92d06802c76abadb-5145d5d12905ce07e7-7feb.html

Former Community Member

Aayush,

Thank you for your response. 

In the documentation:

"LiveCycle specific data:
Application data exists in the database and in Global Document Storage (GDS), and must be backed up in real time. GDS is a directory that is used to store long-lived files that are used within a process. These files may include PDFs, policies, or form templates. "

However, during my testings I don't see any file activities on the GDS folder such as file creation, deletion, etc.  Under what Rights Management operations or scenarios would files, policies be stored in the GDS?  

Maybe I am testing using the proper conditions?

TS

Level 1

The presence of the content in the GDS directory is governed by the max inline size , such that the size of the content more the inline size are stored in GDS and less than the inline size gets stored in the JVM heap . The document content is removed from the GDS when the system find that the content has no valid reference to it. This validity is checked in 30 seconds by default ( adminui > Core Settings> Document Sweep Interval).  If the process is long lived the content will remain in the GDS until the process is purged .