Expand my Community achievements bar.

I want to STOP the user THERE IT SELF!!

Level 8

Hello,

(As i am very very beginner to Java SCRIPT, pls. no syntax errors pls pls)

I am allowing the end-user to enter a specific number of characters in field (say, COUNTRY with max. chacratars is 3, like USA), so, i put some validation on VALIDATION PATTERN, working fine, but, say, user entered CANADA.........my form will popup error message, sayong max. is 3 chars only.....then, user pressed OK button on the popup.........and did NOT fixed the issue (user suppose to make CANADA to CAN), skipped and......continued to entering the data in the rest of the fields....but, i want to STOP the user THERE IT SELF!!

UNLESS & UNTIL the user CORRECTS formatting (here max. # of characters) issue, system/form should not let end-user to go further/to enter any data in other fileds/greyed all the REST of the stuff.....User has to fix it to move forward. Pls. let me know  how can i get it?

Thank you

4 Replies

Level 7

Carefully think about the user and the experience this is going to be for the user. You will lock your user into the form form field with no other action being allowed no matter what. Not a very good idea. You might consider a warning message and highlighting the field or changing the text color to highlight the error.

If there are a limited number of countries, you might consider a drop down box with the acceptable choices.

Level 8

Thank you, agreed with you, but, this is the business requirement that UNLESS & UNTIL end-user fixes the formatting issue, end-user not supposed to go further, STOP right away..........once end-user fixes the formatting issue (like user supposed to enter ONLY 3 charcters in the COUNTRY filed, but entering more than 3 charcters), he is okay to fill the data in the rest of the fields.

1) Pls. let me know how can achieve it?

2) I don't see any danger with this approach (anyways, am a BEGINNER to adobe forms), do we have any danger EXCEPT user incomfrtability/uneasy?

I saw this functionality as well, when am filling some contracts (APT, phone, Loan etc) in my daily life    

Thank you   

Level 7

Will you allow your users to save a partially completed form and come back at a later time?

You add alerts or display of warning fields on the form if the use tries to print the form before it is complete or you do not allow submission.

There are far too many armatures that are out in the wild creating poorly designed forms.

Level 8

Okay....i will talk/explain to business guys, let me see wht they will come back with.

Okay, good suggestion.... i will not allow to SUBMIT with INCORRECT formatting.

Yes, we are allowing user to..partially user can fill-up and save and came back and fill rest of the stuff.

In w     worst case, still, if busniess want to have the STOP/GREY OUT all the form, pls. let me know how can achieve it?

THank you