Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to make formfield to clear after user submits data

Level 1

We created a form where a staff person responsible for hiring can enter a new employee's information and then distribute the information to colleagues who need to prepare various info for the new person's arrival. Sending out the same form to multiple colleagues allows us to cut down on emailing info back and for and sharing information with everyone once.

The form resides on our common drive so when it is filled it can be submitted by email. How can we make the form not keep the data that was entered? For example once it is submitted by email the form fields would become empty and the form coud not be saved by the person who entered the data.

Currently if the form is submitted the employee can save the form which results in the next person opening the form seeing all the data that was entered by the previous person and thus have to delete them before new data can be entered. 

Is there any trick to this?

Thank you in advance for any info on this.

6 Replies

Level 3

Not sure if this will work, but you can code a clearing JS in the submitt button.

So - you have submit - it sends the PDF form to the email you entered in the email field, but

also in the JS section, you have the xfa code for clear.

Its a shot

Level 1

Uh oh.... I am not a developer ... technically pretty savy and can figure out easy things but this is a bit over my head....

so what is JS? Java Script?  how do I code clear?

where is the xfa code?

I didn't set up the form originally - but was asked to fix it :-)  so. the person who set up the "email submit" used a simple button that is coded to submit to a URL. Apparently 4-5 email addresses can be entered here where as the email submit button supports only 1 email (?)  Yet to try that out.

Can this affect tha fact that the form doesn't clear out for the next person?

What if I use the 'reset form' button? Does that help? It's an extra button on the form but maybe helps for now.

What would be ideal if the user couldn;t save the form but that is another work all together.

Sorry for not being more technical here...

Level 3

Ok... Sorry.

Yes. JS = JavaScript, but not to worry.

If you are using LIfeCycle (LC ES), then the re is a button called Reset Button in your Object library - this should do it for you.

But.. you can also add an Action to the email button as well. So click on the button and in the (show events with scripts) add the JS code for clear all fields: xfa.host.resetData();  - this can also be accomplished by right click the button and use action script - when button is clicked.. Condition / Result.

The email submit can hold multiple emails and works fine.

You can add security to the form, whereupon the user cannot save it after they filled in all the field, but only submit it. But that get's a bit technical, and I am not so sure of the process. I have done it before - it is in the file - properties - security. enable password protection and only allow recipient to fill in the field - no printing, copying, saving. Hope that help you out

Cheers

Shai

Former Community Member

Thanks for the help. I'll try out your suggestions.

Deborah A. Worst, AINS, AIC

Office Solutions Team

513-345-6462

"Life is half spent before we know what it is."

George Herbert

Former Community Member

Thanks, this works great!

Debbie

"Life is half spent before we know what it is."

George Herbert

Level 1

Shai,

Thank you for the explanation. I added the Reset button and that works for now

I checked the option you mentioned about adding an action to the email button. I use Life Cycle ES which opens from Adove Pro 9.0 when I want to edit the form. I don't see any options for 'show events with scripts' even if I right click  the button. I'll keep on looking.

As for the security and no printing part I will check some other options as well because it does seem to be tricky.

Thank you for the help!!!

Tsila