Expand my Community achievements bar.

How hard is it to use javascript to show/hide fields. Is it easier to use the action builder?

Level 3

I know nothing about javascript and all that ive been using so far has been stuff ive found on here (thank you everyone).

Using the action builder seems like its gonna be very tedious to do since i have so many subforms that hide, would it be esier to use javascript?

2 Replies

Former Community Member

I know nothing about javascript myself but I just created a form with about 10 different subform that show or hide depending on what the user chooses from a drop down list and I used Action Builder. If we don't know javascript, how can we use it? But Action Builder did a fine job of hiding/showing wherever I needed it. And Action Builder can do more than one thing by clicking that + sign when you are building an action.

For instance, I needed to place a button in each subform that would close both the field that the person was working in and also the subform on the next page where the information was going into floating fields in a text block that was only visible thru a drop down list text select. I could have never figured out how to do that based on my knowledge of javascript. Thank Adobe for including Action Builder in this version of LiveCycle and I use it all the time. I find it extremely easy to use but it takes a little mental training to think thru the steps of how you can use the menu in Action Builder to make your form do what you need it to do.

And if all else fails, ask this forum. I struggle for just so long before I come here and ask for help. I always get the answer I need. I hope you will too.

Good luck,

Jeanette

Level 10

Hi,

Action Builder is good, particularly starting out. However the script can be verbose and not the most efficient.

Use it to flatten out the learning curve and then try and replicate the behaviour you want using examples on the forums.

Good luck,

Niall