Expand my Community achievements bar.

how can i create/delete a new Application using java API?

Level 2

how can i create/delete a new Application  using java API?

thank you.

8 Replies

Employee

Currently you cannot. Can you explain why you would want to do this ?

Applications are used for two purposes:

1) they define the template for your rooms. So if you have two "applications", one for a video chat, and one for some collaborative form editing you'll manually create a template with a webcam pod and a chat pod for the video chat application and a different template for the form editing application.

2) they define "buckets" for pay per use limits. So in the previous case you can specificy that for the video chat application you are willing to spend $500/month (since it's bandwidth intensive) but for the collaborative form you only want to spend $100/month.

Again both cases involve manual operations and a real person making decision so I am not sure how having APIs for this would be helpful.

Level 2

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

We have one template, which we have created manually.

We have many users, for each user we would like to create separate application. All users have rooms created from one template, but each user has different pay limit.

So we need to be able to create /delete “buckets” for the pay per use limits using the Java API.

Thank you

Employee

Applications are kind of "heavy" objects not designed with your use case in mind, so I would look at a different approach.

Also, you may want to decouple your customer's billing cycle from your account billing cycle (all your applications are billed/payed and reset at the same time, while your customers can sign up at all different times)

Currently we don't have a way to limit usage on a single room, but maybe with the extra API we added in the new SDK you have a better way to monitor it and stop the room if needed.

Level 2

Is there a way to monitor billing information per room via the Java API?

Employee

AccountManager.getRoomInfo(room) returns the current usage date for the room, if it's running (otherwise you'll get a "not-active" exception).

The usage is expressed as number of users in the room, number of messages sent, and total bytesUp and bytesDown so you need to use the "pricing" table to figure out how much we would be charging for that room. I guess I could add the calculated usage to the returned values.

Level 2

Thanks, but this function is not very useful in our case : (

We need to be able to get the room billing info in any state (active and not-active).

The best solution would be if we could create/delete the applications (billing buckets) and have some API request to get current billing status per application. Since this is not the option, we can work directly with rooms, but still we need to be able to receive a billing report for each room.

Possible Scenario:  When our session is over = all users have left the room, I would like to make an API request and receive the room info, calculate the quota and block the user if needed.

Former Community Member

Hi g_w_master,

You could make use of the new server-to-server APIs to subscribe to the

userManager, and catch users leaving the room - when the count is down to 0,

then you can poll the API raff mentions and get usage. From there, you own

the entry point into your app (login, etc), so you could check that a person

still has quota room before allowing them in.

As for making this easier, it's not really a use-case we expected so much,

so it's not on the immediate road map - we've got a blockbuster release

coming up in a bit (a few months) so all our energy is going into that.

nigel