Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

generatePDFOutput service produces unexpected results

Level 3

Hi,

At the end of an orchestration, I am using the "generatePDFOutput" service to transform the xdp file into a pdf and then store it on the file system.  The xdp form has a lot of form initialization, depending on its status at the time the form is opened, and it also has a lot of show / hide presence settings.

The orchestration completes successfully and writes the file to the file system.  But when I double click on the newly-created pdf file, none of the show / hide presence settings appear properly (everything is shown, nothing is hidden).

The file opens with acrobat 8 professional because that's what I have, but I imagine it may also be opened with reader if someone with only reader accessed the file.

Is this occurring because acrobat 8 pro does not recognize the form initialization script?  the show / hide settings?  If so, what's the process one should use when using the generatePDFOutput service?

For what it's worth, here are the specific settings in the output service:

generatePDFOutputSettings.JPG

16 Replies

Former Community Member

I think its because you are not maintaining the state of your form. On the Form Properties/Defaults page there is a setting to save form state automatically .....try using that one and see if it helps. Here is a creen shot:

screen2.png

Paul

Level 3

Thanks Paul, but no go.  I have that setting on my form and that doesn't seem to do the trick.  Any other advice?

Former Community Member

Is this a form that a user interacts with then passes on to Output or is it going directly into Output? Can you describe the use case a little bit?

Thanks

Paul

Level 4

Yes, Paul, a user initiates the form in workspace, completes it, and when

submitted, it goes to our "back office". At that point all fields are

locked (thanks for that marvelous lock fields code), and the back office

person simply reviews it and then marks it completed. At that point it is

archived to the file system (later to be archived to FileNet, but not

yet).

When we pull up the file when it's been archived, that's when the form

looks bad. It's archived to a pdf, and show/hide settings don't stick.

I can send you an archive, but it would include my mock up search web

service, a data file, the orchestration, the form, and some fragments. But

I'm willing to do so if you want to take a look-see.

Thank you,.

Elaine

Amal K Schmitz

Comerica Bank - Senior Applications Engineer

3701 Hamlin Road - Auburn Hills, MI 48326 - Mail Code 2460 - 248.371.5079

(Judge Judy Rocks ) Please consider the environment before printing this

email and be aware that if you reply directly to this particular message,

your reply may not be secure. Do not use browser e-mail to send us

communications which contain unencrypted confidential information such as

passwords, account numbers or Social Security numbers. If you must provide

this type of information, please visit Comerica to submit a secure form

using any of the "Contact Us" forms. In addition, you should not send, via

e-mail, any inquiry or request that may be time-sensitive.

If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please destroy or delete the

message and advise the sender of the error by return e-mail.

Former Community Member

What events set of the show/hide of the subforms? Do you have the code setup to run server side or client only?

Paul

Level 4

In File-Form Properties, under the Performance tab, I have "Form requires

server-side data binding and / or scripting" selected.

I think we do need server side data binding (don't we? ) because we use a

"search subsystem" fragment on the form that utilizes a web service to

search data against a back end mainframe, then populate the form with data

after the user selects a customer.

Thanks,

Elaine

Former Community Member

In nay script that is written on any event in the top right corner of the script editor there is a dropdown that controls where the script is intended to be executed. It is client by default, did you modify any of these to run serverside?

paul

Level 3

No, I ran through the form and they are all client-side.

The show/hide settings are set on form init.  Here's a snippet of code:

//only new docs should show search
    if (formStatus.rawValue!="new")
    {

app.alert("not new!");   <-- this executes in workspace but not when archived to pdf and opened from the file system
        searchFragment.presence="hidden";
        mainContentSubform.presence="visible";

//lock fields
        commonScript.setAllFieldAccess(root, "readOnly");    <-- This seems to work, you can't edit the fields in the pdf
        mainContentSubform.resolveNode ("commentsBackOfficeFrag.comments").access = "open";
        return;
    }

At the point the file becomes a pdf and is on the file system, the formStatus value is "submitted" (this has been verified by making the status field visible throughout the whole orchestration).

Perhaps I'm not understanding... Will acrobat execute form initialization script that was created from a designer xdp file? 

The app.alert doesn't execute when I open the pdf.  

Here's a snippet of the form where the presence is not working when the pdf is opened from the file system:

presenceNoSticky.JPG

Former Community Member

The code will not run serverside unless you mark the script to run client and server. The app.alert will cause an error server side so comment it out. The form init events will run server side so you should be OK there. If there are issues with the script the will appear in the server log. At 1st glance it looks Ok to me (except for teh app.alert).

Paul

Level 4

Nothing is running server side. I verified throughout the form.

Everything is client side. Thanks, --E

Level 3

Well, I tried both "Client and Server" and "Client" and I'm not making much headway.

Error: Invalid property set operation; subform doesn't have a default property
Script failed (language is javascript; context is xfa[0].form[0].root[0].main[0])
script=
   formScript.initForm();

I am not sure why there seems to be an error on this line of code when the form is in workspace, but the same form works great in designer "preview"...

So the main page calls initForm() exactly as shown above, and my initForm() method has had its code reduced to just about nothing.

Could it be related to using Acrobat 8.1 professional to open the pdf?

I have attached an archive with the sample form and process if anyone would be so kind...

Thanks,

Elaine

Level 3

I'll try again.  Every time I tried to attach last thursday, the forum threw an error.  Here goes again...

Level 3

Can't upload the archive.  Get an "unauthorized" error:

"There was an error, please check below
It appears you're not allowed to view what you requested. You might contact your administrator if you think this is a mistake. "
Can I email the archive to livecycle5@gmail.com?

Former Community Member

It could be an invalid file type ...they restrict them ....you can email it to livecycle8@gmail.com  not livecycle5

Paul