Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session
SOLVED

FormCalc syntax and scripting issues

Level 1

Hi, I'm a total beginner at LiveCycle and FormCalc. I have been trying to create a simple form for a school assignment in which the user enters numeric data into a table and the last coloum then is calculated via FormCalc scripting. The equation which I have been attempting to express using FormCalc is  simple, (Cell1-Cell2)/Cell3*Cell4. I skimmed through a few tutorials but obviously my understanding of FormCalc and LiveCycle in general is insuffecient. I am hoping someone who could easily do this will help save me from having to learn FormCalc, any help or advice will be very much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

You get the arithmetic over/underflow error because one of your fields is empty or 0. You still need to test for these cases before you do the calculation. So if Cell 3 is 0 or empty (i.e. null) then you need to decide what happens. No calculation?

The correct calculation when all fields are entered is

$ = ( Cell1 - Cell2 ) / Cell3 * Cell4

but you really must test for Cell3 first to trap the error. Once all fields are entered, the error disappears. Something like

if ( HasValue( Cell3 ) )

{

}

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 5

You just need to select the field you want the calculation to appear in and go to the calculate event in the script window and use the following in formcalc

$ = ( Cell1 - Cell2 ) / ( Cell3 * Cell4 )

or whatever the corresponding field names are.

Also, you need to cater for empty fields, either set the cells to be numeric with a default value or extend the script to test if a value has been entered yet. Something like

if ( HasValue( TextField3 ) and HasValue( TextField4 ) ) then

$ = ( TextField1 - TextField2 ) / ( TextField3 * TextField4 )

else

< some other calc here / or nothing>

endif

Level 1

I appreciate the help but I actually wanted to know how to do,

(Cell1 - Cell2) / Cell3 * Cell4,

not

(Cell1 - Cell2) / (Cell3 * Cell4).

As, (8 - 4) / 4 * 5 = 5 but (8 - 4) / (4 * 5) = 0.2  it is evident that these are not the same. I apologize for not explaining clearly enough to begin with. I have spent a while trying to figure out the appropriate script but I continue to receive an arithmatic over/underflow error message. Also I was wondering which setting for 'Show:' on the script window will make the feild update when the feilds that are used in the calculation of its value are inputted. Any help is appreciated.

Correct answer by
Level 5

You get the arithmetic over/underflow error because one of your fields is empty or 0. You still need to test for these cases before you do the calculation. So if Cell 3 is 0 or empty (i.e. null) then you need to decide what happens. No calculation?

The correct calculation when all fields are entered is

but you really must test for Cell3 first to trap the error. Once all fields are entered, the error disappears. Something like

if ( HasValue( Cell3 ) )

{

}