Expand my Community achievements bar.

Folder hyperlink issue again - code reads differently in Reader than in Acrobat Pro

Former Community Member

So when I use Acrobat Pro, and paste a link to a server folder, the link works correctly. (I have to copy the folder link and then put "file:" in front of it to make it work, but it works).

For example, if I paste the text:

file:\\cgi\shares\Departments\Operations\Document Control,

a window opens up in Firefox and goes to:

file:///\\cgi/shares/Departments/Operations/Document Control

which is correct and shows the folder structure and available files to open.

However, when the same link is pasted into Acrobat Reader, the link comes up (after a couple of warning messages),

file:///shares/Departments/Operations/Document Control

which is not correct and only yields a blank page.

I need users to be able to open the server folder from Acrobat reader.

Using Windows 7, Firefox 11,0, LS 9.0, Acrobat Reader X 10.1.2.

Thoughts?

https://acrobat.com/#d=xEF1Y7dXFyiEbLkhfP3GZg

2 Replies

Level 5

Your uri's all need to be safely encoded to be cross app/ corss platform ready. A safe path in adobe has different formatting than standard unc conventions, so if you enter \\cgi\\shares\Departments, you need to encode this as //cgi/shares/Departments and then add the file: notation in front. The safe path notation is not the same as a unc which you can use in browsers for example, it is just used to allow acrobat/reader api's a common format.

When using paths like this in acrobat or reader all paths should be provided via script in a safe manner, so you should have file:///cgi/shares/Departments/Operations/Document Control even if the user enters something different.