Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Exporting form data to txt file

Level 4

I am creating a form in LiveCycle. I need to have the data exported into a txt file. I previously created a form in Word and imported it into LC. When that form was filled out in Adobe and saved, I was able to export the data to a txt file. The form I am working on now I created in LC (instead of Word). When I fill out the form in Adobe, save, and then choose to export to txt file, no data exports. I have attached both forms: the one that works (Unit_5_Preparate) and the one that doesn't (assessment_template_test).

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Well this was a learning experience (no pun intended).

If the LC Designer form is saved as "static" then you will be able to export the data to a text file. If the form is saved as "dynamic" then you will not be able to export to text file.

See the file saved as static.

Good luck,

Niall

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

The Unit_5 file looks like a flat PDF (eg it does not have any fields and is a straight PDF from Word).

Forms developed in LC Designer are different from everyday PDF files. While the form opens in Acrobat, some of the normal Acrobat functionality is not available in a LC Designer form when opened in Acrobat.

If the user has the full Acrobat, then you can set up a button to export the data to an XML form.You can also access this from the Forms / Manage Form Data / Export Data in Acrobat v9. There is a similar menu in earlier version of Acrobat.

I don't know if this is much help in your process. Maybe if you could elaborate on what you do with the exported information (text file), it might help.

N.

Level 4

I must have sent you the wrong file. Let's try this again. What I need is a form that writers fill out that will then create a plain text doc of what they fill in the form for developers. The writers will not have the full version of Acrobat, and we can't use XMLs. We need the txt files, which I generate by going to File-->Export.

SPA1A_U1_Preparate.pdf works the way I want it to. Users fill out the form and save it. Then I can open it and export the data to a txt file.

assessment_template.pdf does not export any data into the txt file

Thank you for your help!

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

Well this was a learning experience (no pun intended).

If the LC Designer form is saved as "static" then you will be able to export the data to a text file. If the form is saved as "dynamic" then you will not be able to export to text file.

See the file saved as static.

Good luck,

Niall