Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Easier way? Dropdown field selection bound to specific data values

Level 2

In a rush so I did it the hard way but suspect there is an easier way. 

Have a drop down box referencing 50 company names that are also associated with a specific company number/site number.  As in this example

Abbotts (001)

Bakers (002)

Campbell (003)

In the drop down box on the form the user jeust sees/selects

Abbotts

Bakers

Campbell

But when they SUBMIT the form I would like the field entry to go into the database/PDF (processed thur Acrobat.com) to just show the site number - dont need the name really.  But both would be OK.

In the field List Items I copied the list from the clipboard:

1.png

Then under Binding > Specify Item Values I manually entered each of 50 company name number:

2.png

I know there must be an easier way to have the company number be associated with the company name using the Data Binding/Connection options but cant figure it out.

Many thanks!

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

If you are already connecting to a database, then you can click the green/underlined "List Items" and "Specify Item Values" to use the data connection to populate the list.

Both will then show a "link" to the right:

Parallels Desktop1.png

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 2

Thanks niall

No existing database connectivity.  Way above my skillset currently.  And I may not fully understand putrpose of this tool.  In the form, selecting the list item (for example Abbotts) retunr "Abbotts" in the results collection spreadsheet, not the "001" value Im looking for.

Level 10

Hi,

Based on your second screenshot, I would have expected the value to be a number. Two reasons:

1. The dropdown has a binding (use Name), and
  2. You have ticked and specified values for each of the items.

Therefore the .rawValue of the dropdown will be a number. If you open the form in Acrobat, select an item on the dropdown and then from the Manage Form Data menu, export the data to an XML File. Open the XML in an editor and for the Dropdown1 you should see a number.

If you are collecting the data using Acrobat.com, it may be returning the data using the display item. However this is not what I would have expected (either).

Niall

Level 2

You even help accidentally - found this post / file from you to someone else:  http://www.assuredynamics.com/index.php/portfolio/linking-dropdowns-using-global-binding/#cb=f2f1eb6...

This gets the job done in a round about way.