Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dynamic masterpage

Level 8
Level 8

Hi all,

I am doing a project where I would like the masterpage to be of dynamic size. Meaning that I have some dynamic expandable subforms containing expandable data entries and when I reach the bottom of the page I need the page to expand as well. Is this possible in LC Designer ES2 and if so do you have some pointers of how to approach it?

Thanks in advance - if you don't understand what I am trying to do, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

7 Replies

Level 4

Hi

Master Pages are used to repeat standard content throughout a form (such as a company logo) and also help with a form's efficiency so I am not sure why you would use a master page to be dynamic.

Therefore I would suggest creating a dynamic page and subforms with your data entry fields.  When the bottom of the page is created a new one should then appear.  I am not aware that yo can change the actual size of the page if that is what you were asking.

There is plenty of information on the web to help do this.

Level 8
Level 8

Hi SnookerDJ,

I am aware that I could do something like what you describe - but I don't think that expanding to another page is good enough for this scenario.

"I am not aware that yo can change the actual size of the page if that is what you were asking."

OK - that’s a pity - however I just have to deal with it some other way or the customer has to accept the dynamic page to flow into more than one page.

Once again - thanks for your input, if anyone else has an idea on how to tackle this challenge please let me know

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Level 4

Hi

Maybe describe exactly what you are trying to do to see if there are any

suitable alternatives or ideas we could come up with.

Thanks

Level 8
Level 8

Hi again SnookerDJ

Here goes

I am trying to create a "guide" or "wizard"-like pdf where the user starts out by filling in some fields and the clicks "next" to get to the next step.

I know that this (or something similar) can be solved by using "Guides" in LC ES2, but the customer wants to try to do it in PDF.

Each "step" should only contain one page that "grows" like you describe whenever there are repeating subforms. The problem with using more pages is that the users overview of the "step" is pretty much lost. However this might be necessary if there is no other good alternatives.

I hope this is understandable - however don't hesitate to ask further into detail if you think of something

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Level 4

Hi

If your only worry is the user not retaining the feel of being within the

same step. Here is what I would do:

1. Create a master page as needed with whatever objects needed throughout

form.

2. On first page create a parent subform to hold all steps. Create

button(s) within this subform to go to previous or next step. Make sure in

the hierarchy these come at the end and that they hide and make visible your

step subforms in (3) below. You will need to code this button something like

this:

If (page1.stepform1.presence == "visible"){

Page1.stepform1.presence = "hidden"

Page1.stepform2.presence = "visible"

Page1.stepform3.presence = "hidden"

etc

}

Repeat theif statement for each stepform that you have.

3. Create your step subforms and include buttons to repeat the subforms in

(4) below. This way the buttons will always appear at the end of each step

4. Within each step subform create a child subform containing repeating

data entry text fields.

This way you will only ever have one page unless the repeating subform

spills over to a second page.

Remember to not split subforms over pages as this will not look good. Good

layout and design is also key to relieving the problem that you mentioned.

Hope this helps and makes sense. would be good to see your result.

Thanks

Darren

Level 8
Level 8

Hi again Darren, sorry for my late reply.

I understand most of your idea, however I am not sure what you mean when you write the following:

"3. Create your step subforms and include buttons to repeat the subforms in

(4) below."

"Why do I need buttons to repeat my subforms? The way I see it I have two types of subforms inside my "step subform"."

1. A non-expanding type with fixed sized fields.

2. An expanding type that expands when I add more rows or something like that.

What is the buttons you are mentioning needed for? I might just have missed an important point in understanding your design?

"This way the buttons will always appear at the end of each step"

Yes - that is true and the way I understand you I will have two sets of buttons: One set ("next" and "back") for the entire step (parent subform) and another set for each step subform (here I am not sure what type of button you mean).

I hope you understand what I mean - if not don't hesitate to ask me to elaborate :).

"Would be good to see your result."

Off course I will show you when its done

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Kim Christensen

Dafolo A/S

Level 4

Hi

If you wanted to repeat the subform that contains your text entry fields again within each step you will need to add buttons to do this.  If this is not needed then dont do this.  Point 2 you said you wanted it to expand when you add more rows so why i Made that suggestion so maybe I didnt understand correctly.

If you just want a single text box to expand when something is written then you have to ensure the form is dynamic and set the object to expand from the object options.  Note that the object will only expand once the user has finished typing and focused elsewhere.