Expand my Community achievements bar.

debuging Javascript code in LC is not smooth. Is there a better way?

Level 2

I'm new to LC and I am finding the debugging process very cumbersome. I save my form, open it in Acrobat and enable debugging window  there. I know there is a way to the have debugging window in PDF preview but  that would not make much of difference. I actually prefer to have it in  Acrobat because when it crashes I wouldn't loose my LC.

Is this the best way of debuging Javascript?

It would be nice to have access to variable dump. I am creating temproary text fields and pop up  messages.

1 Reply

Level 2

I cant believe Adobe releases such a large project like LiveCycle with no "officially supported" debuger.

from the horse's mouth:

http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed/2010/03/using_the_acrobat_javascript_d.html

"...there are some serious limits:

• Using the debugger with XFA forms is not officially supported
  • We cannot debug script objects
  • Storing  break points doesn’t seem to work.  This makes it hard to debug an  initialization script (unless you force your form to do an xfa.form.remerge()) "

"When will XFA have proper JavaScript debugging support?  This is a hard  question to answer.  But it gets asked a lot.  Believe me when I say  that  we’ve taken a run at this problem many times in the past.  But the  fact remains that there are some substantial technical barriers that  are holding us back. "

Please correct me if I am wrong.