Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Creating a Poll Pod

Former Community Member

Hi,

I want to create a custom pod which will enable owners to create questions (with answer options for others to choose from ofcourse), and others to submit their votes. I went through the SharedModel sample to see how can I work with shared model. I'm having difficulty on deciding how should I set up my Collection Node.

Could you give me some ideas, like, how would you create your nodes and what would their types be?

For example, I think I'll need a "questionLabels" node. Which will have Manual Storage Scheme and have 1-level object with question strings and IDs. But, for example, how should I store answers and create the relationship between them and questions? Some advice would be very good.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I found this: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2392460#2392460 But it seems outdated. Is there already a pod like what I've described?

3 Replies

Employee

Hi,

Have you explored the SharedObject API ?, you can assoicate a key with each new question, and the poll count as its value.

Thanks

Arun

Former Community Member

Hi Arun,

Thank you very much. I have looked into the SharedModel and some of the SharedObject APIs. But my main starting point on figuring out what could I do was the Room Manager's Explore tab. But now I see that SharedObject has a better perspective for a programmer.

SharedObject.setProperty() takes a value parameter of Object. So I can store Array in a property. Does this mean I could (or should, in this particular example) store all my questions in a property, all the options in another property and all the votes submitted in another one? Then whenever I need to count how much votes had been submitted for a particular option, I could just walk through the votes Array (property.value) and increase the counter according to the question?

Employee

You could do that, but a better approach would be a new shared object for each new question, and the options and poll count would be the key value pairs of the sharedObject question.

Thanks

Arun

PS: Dont forget to delete sharedObject that you might not need.