Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Create Form with Data Transferable When Modified

Level 1

Hi Adobe Users!

I have a catchall form that I use at work and every time I modify it, I have to go to the old form for each client and copy paste... one by one every form field to the new version. I have googled as far as I can and cant figure it out please help me!

I create and modify the form in Microsoft word.

I then save as a pdf.

I next choose "Create New Form" in Adobe 8.

Now it auto detects fields and takes me to Live Cycle Designer where I add in any fields it missed.

I then save the file and open it in Adobe 8.

Next I enable Usage Rights and Save a copy so that my document is savable after filled out.

This process works fine but I have yet to find a solve on how to get data from the clients old form into the new version. From what I've researched, Live Cycle Designer creates XML forms and that prevents you from being able to get the data out of the old form.

I am so worn on copy and paste and think I might be getting carpal tunnel from all this clicking., please help me.

Thank You!

1 Reply

Level 7

Do you use Acrobat Pro?

1. If so, Load your Client's old form
  2. Click Tools > Forms > More Form Options > Manage Form Data > Export Data
  3. In the window that shows, name your .xml file and Save.

1435526_pastedImage_1.png

1. Load in your new form
  2. Click Tools > Forms > More Form Options > Manage Form Data > Import Data
  3. Select your file and Import.

1435483_pastedImage_0.png

All data items will be imported into the new form. This technique also exports and imports any instances you might have added!

I do this all the time for a form i designed that gets updates occasionally and can have up to 20 instances with 20 instances within each of those.