Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Converting PDF eform by web program

Level 1

Dear all,

I am now preparing to write a web program (ASP.Net, IIS on Windows Server) to convert some PDF eforms to XML. If I want to use the latest version of Acrobat (which supposed to be Acrobat XI Pro, right?), what products should I purchase? I guess should be as follows:

1. Adobe Livecycle Designer ES4 (for designing the form on my development PC).

2. Adobe Acrobat XI Pro (for driven by the ASP.Net program to convert PDF to XML which will be used by my ASP.Net program. Located on the Windows Server).

I also wonder whether I can start and use Acrobat XI Pro by ASP.Net as it may have some problems in licensing:

How do I convert multiple PDFs to XML without having to open each file individually?

If not, what should I use then?

Thanks,

Stephen

1 Reply

Level 2

If you create a Static LiveCycle XFA form (Save-As Static PDF) or an Acrobat form (Acroform) you can parse and export the form field values to XML using only iTextSharp and/or www.FDFToolkit.net. Note: Due to licensing restrictions, Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader should not be installed directly on an ASP.net server. Also, if you export to XML format, the files won't automatically open with Adobe Reader; because, it lacks the Filename. I suggest you export to XDP for LiveCycle XFA forms and FDF or XFDF for Acrobat PDFs.

Useful links:

www.fdftoolkit.net/examples/

fdftoolkit.codeplex.com

www.google.com/search?q=itextsharp