Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Content won’t save in Currency Field with Acrobat Reader

Level 1

Hi all,

Our form has been created with LC Designer. The field is a currency field. I edit the field with Reader Version 2017 and save the file. When I open the file again with the Reader Version 2017 the content disappears. When I open the same file with all other PDF Readers: Chrome, IE, etc. the content is still there, could be edited, and saved.

Only with the Adobe Reader it is not possible.

thanks

Karl

[Title renamed for clarity by moderator. Was “Acrobat Reader”. Moved from Reader forum to LiveCycle forum for a better response.]

10 Replies

Level 3

Try the forum for LiveCycle Designer.

Level 2

Hi Karl

You can’t edit fields with Reader. Are you trying to edit the field or enter content into the field? To edit the field you would need to use Live Cycle. Can you explain further?

~ Jane

Level 1

Hi Jane,

the content of the field disappears. And I'm editing the content of the field.

Regards

Karl

Level 2

Hi Karl,

That’s what I thought you might mean. Editing the field has a different meaning in Acrobat — it means editing the field definition, size, and location. It’s okay that you don’t know that, we just have to be speaking the same language. You are entering content into the field.

To clarify: you enter the content, move away from the field, it’s still there, you save, and it’s still there, and it disappears when you reopen?

Most of the time when this happens, it’s because another copy of the form has been opened, especially when it comes from email, so try this:

Open the form > Save As to a location that you know > fill out a field or two > Save again > Close > Reopen. Does that work?

~ Jane

Level 1

Hi Jane,

no, it's not working…

the funny stuff is:

- just above my field with the problem. I have a similiar currency field. But this one has no binding. And I can save values, open it again. Value is saved, and reopened again. No problem.

- I did another form much simplier, but with the same field, that gives me the problem. I can save the value, change the value, save it, reopen it. No problem on this form.

Just the complex form with a lot of fields makes this problem.

Rgds

Karl

Level 2

Hi Keith,

It sounds like it’s a problem with the field itself. Since it was created in LiveCycle, it can only be edited in LifeCycle, and only if it’s not locked down.

We have two choices:

• If you know the creator of the form, you can ask them
  • I can move this thread to the LiveCycle forum and maybe one of those volunteers will be kind enough to look at the form, providing it is not locked down. LiveCycle is Windows only, so I do not have access to it.

~ Jane

Level 1

Hi Jane,

I'm the creator….you can forward my request to LC Designer.

Thank you Jane

Level 7

Hi Karl,

If you are not against making a complicated form a little more complicated, there is a way around it that you could try.

Create a Global Variable, store the field value, save the form and then bring it back on load.

• Right Click your form in the hierarchy and select Insert Script Object.
  • Give the script object a name - i called it vars for this example.

Enter var currency;

• In the form pre-save event (javascript) enter:

vars.currency = currencyField.rawValue; //where currency is the global variable and currencyField is the problem field.

• In the form initialise event (javascript) enter:

currencyField.rawValue = vars.currency;

Before the form is saved, the currencyField value will be stored in the global variable. When the form is next initialised, the saved variable is returned to the currencyField.

1793131_pastedImage_15.png

Its worth a shot. Otherwise, when i have had problem forms I have just rebuilt them.