Expand my Community achievements bar.

Best place to store a big XML.

Level 2

Where is the best place to store a big XML in the pdf form?

I have a dynamic form which builds some drop down fields using JavaScript and as a source a XML.

While developing, I used a test XML with not that much data and I stored it in a global variable, but when I try to use the production XML, it doesn't fit.

I noticed that a global variable has a length limit of approx 32.000 chars and a text field has 30.000 chars limit, but my XML has more than 100.000 chars.

I also tried to put the XML in a JavaScript variable, but I have to escape some characters and the JavaScript editor fails to show more than 4700 chars on one single line.

So, does anybody know where can I store this big XML?

P.S.: I use LiveCycle Designer ES2 v.9.0.0.2.20101008.2.720808

4 Replies

Level 10

If you are rendering the form using server components, it would be better keep the data in the XML itself instead of storing it in a field on the form. You can always reference the data in the form XML in any script. There are different ways on how you can reference the data in the form XML. So please let me know what you would like to do with XML, then I can help you.. Send me the XML as well.

If you need to send a large file, send it to LiveCycle9@gmail.com.

Thanks

Srini

Level 2

Here is my situation more detailed:

I have a form with a schema binded to it's fields.

I have 4 dropdowns and a text field. (the text field is the last one)

I have a global variable which contains an XML.

I have some JavaScript functions which parse the XML and extract data (with XPATH) to populate the first drop down.

When the user selects a value from the dropdown, I extract again data from the XML stored in the global variable to populate the 2nd drop down and so on until the last field.

Everything is at the client side, no servers involved yet.

What I need is a place to store my XML from which I query data to populate my dropdowns. The Global Variable has a limit of ~32.000 chars and a text field has a limit of ~30.000 chars.

My production XML has > 100.000 chars.

Unfortunately I cannot give the XML, because it contains personal data.

Level 8

To mirror Srini's response, the best place to store the xml is in the form itself, more specifically the Data DOM.

The forms we use are bound to a schema with two sections. A section called Data that is mapped to fields that stores the users form input (what you have) and a section called ReferenceData which is a library of lists and values for the purpose of dropdowns and rendering the form (what you need). Before we deploy the form, we import the xml file provided by our data architect to render a finished form.

Hope that helps.

Kyle

Level 2

As per linked in post.....

- XML in Form (makes form size bigger)

- Webservice look ups (requires user to online / connected)

- Embedded/Hardcoded into the for design (messy, difficult maintenance, etc...)

- You could go with folder level scripts and then do some very cool things (but i dont think this is applicable to your use case / deployment requirements)