Expand my Community achievements bar.

Acrobat/Reader Image field objects problem

Former Community Member

I have a dynamic form created in LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2, that I reader enable through Acrobat 9 Pro. The form has Image Field Objects so the users can insert PNG Images.

When an image is inserted by a user with Reader X, and saved, the images are viewable to a different user who opens the form with Acrobat 9 Pro.

However, if the form is saved in Acrobat, the images become invisible to the user with Reader.

I have tested this with the Image Field Object set to Embed the data, and without, and get the same results. I have no issues with any of the other various user editable fields on the form, and do not get any errors indicating issues with the Reader Extension Rights.

Is this expected behavior?

Any Insight would be appreciated.

7 Replies

Level 5

I did try this out with the versions you listed and couldnt duplicate it. Maybe upload a sample somewhere so we can maybe have a look, although it might be an issue for adobe support.

Former Community Member

Thanks for the response.

In a basic test case I found that setting the Image Object Field binding to 'normal ' instead of  'none'  corrrects the issue.

However, the issue persists when I add a Data Connection, using sample XML Data (and I also get the  "Using 'Normal' data binding when a default data connection is defined may produce undersirable results."  warning due to the 'normal' binding on the Image Object Field).

Level 5

Ah now i see it, same thing happens for me, when the binding is set to "none". I had a look at the contents of the field and in acrobat the value object contained the contentType, and transfer encoding type along with a stream. In Reader the same value showed, just the contentType and transfer encoding type. No stream. Obviously no data is stored in the underlying object model when none is selected for binding.

When using normal for binding, it stores the image stream in the underlying xfa data model and when you open both in reader and acrobat it is restored from there. TBH, looks like a bug in reader, not transferring the pdf item stream into the xfa object model like it does for other objects.

I didnt try using another data connection. Are you using both sample data connection and normal or just trying to bind the image field to the sample data connection?

Former Community Member

The XML Data Connection I am setting up is independent of the Image Field Object(s), in that I am only using it to populate a drop-down list of names and a couple of other text fields.  I have tried the connection with Sample XML Data, and also via XML Schema, with the Image Field Object binding set as 'normal', both giving the same results.

Level 5

Indeed I tried a few variations and the only ones that worked was Normal binding (without any other Data connection on the form) and Image Field bound directly to a data connection. I didnt see any difference in whether the form was reader extended, happened on both for me. Also tried it with embed turned on but nothing there wither. You can work around this in scripting by storing the image content in some other location and check to see if you are opening it in reader and reload it correctly.

Level 5

Also another way to get around it, is for designer to automatically insert the data into the dataset conforming to the current data connection. In Designer 9, there is a tab on the File->Form Properties which handles Data Binding options and allows for binding to data not defined by the default data connection. I turned this on along with add data nodes at the end. I gave the image field a bind ref name and it then displayed in both.

Level 1

I have two file types that are exactly the same and I am trying to place an image in LiveCycle. The image comes up as a broken square; not even sure what that means. Any advice?

Incidently, the same file type of another image works fine...but not the image I want. I have exported several different files from AI and Photoshop to no avail.