Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

XPath Query with /* only returns the first node?

Former Community Member
Hi,<br /><br />I'm using the JDBC Query for Multiple Rows as XML service option to produce the following XML:<br /><br />[5/8/08 14:52:30:674 EDT] 00000043 VariableLogge A com.adobe.idp.dsc.variablelogger.VariableLoggerService log [PID:-1] /process_data/userQueryResult - XML Document: <br /> <UserList><br /> <User><br /> <firstName type="VARCHAR2">firstname_1</firstName><br /> <lastName type="VARCHAR2">lastname_1</lastName><br /> <userId type="VARCHAR2">userid_1</userId><br /> </User><br /> <User><br /> <firstName type="VARCHAR2">firstname_2</firstName><br /> <lastName type="VARCHAR2">lastname_2</lastName><br /> <userId type="VARCHAR2">userid_2</userId><br /> </User><br /> <User><br /> <firstName type="VARCHAR2">firstname_3</firstName><br /> <lastName type="VARCHAR2">lastname_3</lastName><br /> <userId type="VARCHAR2">userid_3</userId><br /> </User><br /> <User><br /> <firstName type="VARCHAR2">firstname_4</firstName><br /> <lastName type="VARCHAR2">lastname_4</lastName><br /> <userId type="VARCHAR2">userid_4</userId><br /> </User><br /></UserList><br /><br />In a SetValue serivce I have defined the following mapping (xmlFrag is an XML variable):<br /><br />Location : /process_data/xmlFrag/root<br />Expression: /process_data/userQueryResult/UserList/*<br /><br />However, the mapping only ever returns the first <User> node.<br /><br />[5/8/08 14:52:30:706 EDT] 00000043 VariableLogge A com.adobe.idp.dsc.variablelogger.VariableLoggerService log [PID:-1] /process_data/xmlFrag - XML Document: <br /> <root><br /> <User><br /> <firstName type="VARCHAR2">firstname_1</firstName><br /> <lastName type="VARCHAR2">lastname_1</lastName><br /> <userId type="VARCHAR2">userid_1</userId><br /> </User><br /></root><br /><br />I have also tried the following mapping expressions, but each produce the same result.<br /><br />Expression: /process_data/userQueryResult/UserList/User<br /><br />Expression: /process_data/userQueryResult/UserList/User[*]<br /><br />I am able to extract a single <User> node with the expression<br /><br />Expression: /process_data/userQueryResult/UserList/User[2]<br /><br />But I am not able to get the complete list of <User> nodes.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks.
4 Replies

Level 10
Are you on 8.0.1.2?

I have had similar xml manipulation issues with 8.0.1 before.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
I think you will have to loop through the xml to get each user individually.First get a count of the users using one of the nodeset functions which will return you the count of the users, then loop through the xml to get each individual user

hope this helps

Former Community Member
Thanks for the quick replies.

I found that if I use the serialize function on the XPath expression

/process_data/userQueryResult/UserList/User

it does return all instances of the User element as expected. Anyway, for now I'm able to

use the XSLT service to do what I need, but it would be nice to know how to get this work.

Thanks.