Expand my Community achievements bar.

Web Service form submit does not recognize SOAP fault?

Former Community Member
Hi,

I'm doing a proof-of-concept that uses PDF forms to submit data to a web service back end. I'm mostly there but I have some concerns about form robustness in the face of SOAP faults. The server is a J2EE application running on JBoss 3.2.6 using Axis 1.2.1.

Everything works nicely in the 'normal' case. We throw java exceptions if the data is bad (e.g. customer ID not found). All the other apps I have tried (InfoPath, custom java client code, VisualBasic.NET, etc) all recognize the exception (which is turned into a SOAP fault by Axis and passed back to the caller). However the PDF form doesn't give any indication that the SOAP response contained a fault. As far as the form user is concerned, everything went ahead. Am I missing something?

Can I get to the SOAP fault code with the java script on the service button events? If so, which event should I hook and which property should I be interrogating?

Thanks,

Cameron Bromley

cam at versata dot com
4 Replies

Former Community Member
I should mention that I am using the LiveDesign Forms designer, not custom javascript to submit the data to the web service.. I know I cna theoretically roll my own javascript to hit the web service but that's no good to me, since we are talking about end users doing their own forms against predefined web services. thanks.

Former Community Member
Hi,

I am facing almost a problem which you have already solved.

I am not being able to call a web service.

I created a data connection that points to a wsdl file which was defined in SAP.

I draged and droped the connection to the PDF editor : it created 2 text fields and a button.

I changed the button mode from "Execute" to "Submit" and specified the URL of the wsdl and the username and password for authentication.

Is it correct ? Should I leave the button in "Execute" mode ???

Thanks for the help.

Level 9
Hi

You should not change the type of button - the default is correct.

You do need to have Acrobat (NOT reader) installed and running when you try to invoke the web service - Reader is not capable of invokign a web service. This may be your problem.

Howard

http://www.avoka.com

Former Community Member
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

We are now developing with SAP WebDynpro applications which enabled me to calla Web Service and to create easily a PDF document.

Thanks.

Regards.