Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Submit timeout

Former Community Member
I have a submit button in my PDF form where I submit the PDF file to a PHP webpage. It works fine if the PDF is about 700K in size, but now I have a PDF that is 1.5 Meg and when I submit it, it now returns back a 'Timeout' error.

Is there any way to extend the timeout period so that it can upload properly?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
I do not know of anything on the Acrobat/Reader side .....is there a parameter on the Web Server side that controls the timeout?

Former Community Member
The PHP script works 100% when viewing and submitting the PDF through a Browser like Microsoft Internet Explorer.

The problem only exists when using the Acrobat Reader outside of a browser. In stand-alone mode if you like.

It is giving a 'Time-out' error, but it is not the server script timing out because the same script always works from a browser with the exact same PDF.

I increased the server script time-out to 120 seconds, but the Acrobat Reader stand-alone always Times-out after about 30 seconds.

Former Community Member
Are you returning some HTML from the server to test this "timeout"?

Former Community Member
Yes, we return a message from the web page if it finishes successfully. When we submit from a PDF from Acrobat professional (that is, not running from a web browser or reader), we get a nice dialog box that Adobe displays saying it's connecting, but with the 1.5 Meg file, it returns displays a Timeout error in that dialog box. With the smaller file, it goes through ok.

Former Community Member
Hi, I'm having a similar issue, SOAP request through JS in a PDF calling a WebSphere deployed web Service. The Web service takes approx 2 minutes to complete, and completes successfully, but the client times out with the message 'A network connection couldn't be created.' after 30 seconds. There are no server side errors (in any WAS log file), the timeout is nowhere near the limit in soap.client.props, and this is the same message I get after a couple of seconds if I plug out the network cable and try the WS, so I'm certain it is client side.

does anyone know where this default timeout can be set in Adobe Acrobat settings?