Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Submit a Form as PDF and ProcessManagment should receive it

Level 2
Hello!

I have a question how I can receive a submitted PDF as PDF in Process Management.

The Designer provides the possibility for a submit button to send the form as PDF to an URL. On the server side a self-defined process should be started by receiving the pdf. The process has different endpoints for example the SOAP endpoint. Can the soap endpoint receive the pdf when I use the submit button with option to send a PDF?

If I have to use the DataConnection to send a request to a webservice? But so, then I can't send the PDF itself.

Background: My PDF contains the a signature field, so I have to handle the PDF on server side. The server checks the signature and so on.

Can somebody help me?

Regards

Christoph
9 Replies

Former Community Member
You would use a documentForm Variable and not an XFAForm variable. Make sure you modify the form submit button to submit PDF and not XDP.

You can use the Default Renderer to render the PDF.

Level 2
Hello Paul,

thanks for the fast answer and the advices.

Following your advices I need an URL for the submit button to send the pdf to my process. I can't use the soap-url like these /soap/service/process because I have to invoke a method and set the input parameter. The submit button only sends the pdf to an url and not to an webservice.

Do you can help me again?

Christoph

Former Community Member
The url is:

http://machinename:port/workspace-server/submit

....make sure your submit button is invisible and put the form bridge object onto your form at design time

Level 2
Oh thanks for this advice!

Is this feature somewhere documented?

Christoph

Level 2
Hello Paul,

I try the url but this servlet want a task id additionally. I want to use my PDF outside(!) of the workspace.

My situation:

I fill out the pdf form out of the workspace and at last the user sign the pdf. In the pdf is a submit button. This button must send itself (pdf not only the data) to a process in the livecycle server. I need for submitting an url not a webservice which takes the pdf as an input parameter of my process and start it.

Do I have to write my own servlet for this workflow or is in the livecycle a feature which realize this.

Christoph

Former Community Member
No ...you can simply add the process fields onto the form and the process engine will pre-populate those fields. Make suer they are all hidden..otherwise your signature will break.

Former Community Member
Hello anyone who might know what to do,

I actually have a similar problem, but I'm not as well-versed in scripting at this point.

Currently, when I submit a PDF form created in LiveCycle, only the responses in XML format are submitted. I'm trying to find a way to submit a PDF form (by email or uploading to a site) so that the person reading the submitted, data-filled form receives not only the responses as XML data, but can read the data in PDF form, in its original format. I was thinking that this seems like it would be possible by somehow programming the XML data to populate the blank PDF form, but I'm not sure how to do this.

Former Community Member
Its easier than that ...you can have the Form submit as a PDF. This has been discussed many times on this form. Note that if you are using Reader that you will have to Reader Extend the form to allow this to happen. The Reader Extensions in Acrobat will be sufficient to accomplish this.