Expand my Community achievements bar.

Shrink-to-Fit fields

Former Community Member
Hi, is there a way to make text fields "shrink-to-fit" so that if a name or title is too long it will automatically make the words fit? Thanks

Shane C
12 Replies

Former Community Member
Hello,

I used a little field whit expand to fit option... ;-)

bye,

Roberto.

Former Community Member
Hi, I'm trying to do the opposite which is shrink to fit so that the layout can remain the same...any ideas?

Level 5
Set Font Size of the field to Zero, and the font will continue to decrease in size as more text is entered into a field.

Mark

Former Community Member
Hello. I'm trying to do the same thing Shane College was, but I can't quite figure out how to reduce the font size to zero. The text formatting toolbar will not allow for this. Is this a scripting function?

Many thanks.

Level 5
CM:

Assuming you are using LiveCycle Designer;

From the menu bar, window-font (Shift+F4)

Highlight the font size value.

overtype with zero.

click outside the field.

should retain the zero value.

Good Luck

Former Community Member
Hi Mark,

Okay did that, but the font size reverts to the non-zero numerical value. Are there specific fonts that will not allow zero? Or is there another setting on my system that is preventing this from happening?

Thanks for your help.

CM

Level 4
Hi CM,

You can cheat by going into the XML Source editor and setting it to 0 there.

View > XML Source

Then search for your text / field (Ctrl + F) and there will be a line with something similar to:

<**THIS WON'T BE HERE**font size="9pt" typeface="Arial"/>

Alternatively, if you have the field selected it goes into the editor at the start of the field in the code so you should be able to just scroll down a little way.

Regards,

Tom

Former Community Member
Hi, I am trying to do the same as Shane College, but instead of making the text "shrink to fit" and keeping the layout the same, I am trying to make the text box "expand to fit". In other words, I would like the text box to dynamically grow as the amount of text increases.

Can I only do this if the form is "dynamic" (rather than "static")? I tried to create a "dynamic" form but to no avail!

Former Community Member
Yes it must be dynamic ... on the layout tab you have to click on expand to fit.

Former Community Member
Hi Paul,

I've read through some of the forums today and I noticed you've helped out a lot of people (including myself). Just want to say thanks for taking the time to answer our frustrating questions. You are better than any adobe technical support (who charge $39!!).

Best,

Leah

Former Community Member
Hi Thomas,

Okay, I was forced to go into the XML code, but your suggestion worked. There was no font size set at all for these, so when I input the size (as zero), the fields functioned as desired.

Thanks for the info.

CM