Expand my Community achievements bar.

Server-side XML processing

Level 1
I have a client using LiveCycle to develop XML Forms which will be submitted to my server. I need to be able to parse the XML data and alter it (for example, to complete the form with data from a DB) before displaying the form again. I understand that if the form is submitted as an XDP, then parsing the XML is trivial. But what about altering it? Is there an API I can use to

i reconstitute

the PDF with altered XML?

Thanks for any help!
4 Replies

Former Community Member
The setValue operation allows you to manipulate the xml using XPath statements.

Level 1
Thanks for your response Paul. I should have been a little more clear in my post. My client use LiveCycle for forms development and processing. But

i my

server is in a separate environment without access to any licensed LiveCycle APIs. So, I'm not sure what "setValue" operation you're refering to.

I'm assuming that if they submit an XDP file to me, I can load and manipulate the form data using any DOM-based Java API I choose. But what about reconstituting a PDF from the modified XDP? Can I do that without LiveCycle?

Thanks again!

Former Community Member
Thew setValue is an operation in LiveCycle ...so disregard that comment. Yes you can use any Dom you want to manipulate the DP ..after all it is just XML.

To re-render the form using a modified XDP you can use LiveCycle Forms to do that.

Level 1
Thanks. Can I do the re-render on

i my

server using a Java API - i.e., without LiveCycle?