Highlighted

Repeating subforms and tab order

Michael_E_Murph

31-12-2008

My form has a "table" that I've created with a subform object that contains a repeating subform "row." The table contains add row and delete row buttons where appropriate. After clicking the add row button, a new row appears; however, the new row's tab order defaults to the very end of the form. I have to tab all the way to the end of the second page before getting to my new row. This won't pass our accessibility QC.

I checked Adobe's sample Purchase Order, and new rows get the correct tab order there. Am I having problems because I'm using a subform object instead of a table object?

Replies

Highlighted

Michael_E_Murph

07-01-2009

Thanks for your reply Paul. All I really need to know is, if my form contains a repeating subform, and the user dynamically creates a second instance of the subform, does that second instance get placed at the bottom of the tab order? I'm guessing it does.
Highlighted

pguerett

07-01-2009

The tab order should be left to right, top to bottom ...so the tab order should adjust accordingly when you add the additional row.
Highlighted

Michael_E_Murph

11-03-2009

I built a single-column, two-row table. Row 1 contains a delete button, row 2 contains an add button. When I open the form and click the add button, rows are added dynamically and they are inserted correctly into the tab sequence. However, if I wrap both buttons in a subform, new rows are appended to the end of the tab order.

I'm tempted to call this a bug. Why should a subform affect the tab sequence this way? I need to be able to build "multi-line" table rows. Is that do-able without a subform?
Highlighted

pguerett

11-03-2009

No ...you must have a subform to do that. If you feel it is a bug then you can open an incident with support and get an official answer.
Highlighted

_nickarmstrong_

11-03-2009

Paul,

I'm sorry to stock you like this. I posted in another thread, but it's been a month since it was last updated:
Jason Bell, "Database Connection" #, 13 Oct 2008 12:51 pm

Could i work with you a bit to learn some beginner steps regarding that post?

Thank you, sorry to jack this post! I'll be done

Nick Armstrong

narmstrong@smilebpi.com
Highlighted

Michael_E_Murph

27-03-2009

Our friends at AboutWeb, who host our local LiveCycle user's group, helped me figure this out; however, I think Adobe has some usability issues with this feature. It has to do with the Automatic vs. Custom options on the Tab Order tab. If I select Automatic, dynamically added table rows are correctly inserted into the tab sequence. If I select Custom, dynamically added table rows are appended to the bottom of the tab sequence. The problem was, even if I just display the Tab Order tab, the Custom option is automatically selected. Something I completely missed. Hopefully this post might help anyone having the same troubles I did.