Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

rendering a non-interactive form

Former Community Member
How do we use scripting in Live Cycle Designer to render a non-interactive pdf. Data is populating the form using xml. Thanks and help will be appreciated
10 Replies

Former Community Member
How are you merging the data onto the form....are you importing it after it is rendered?

Former Community Member
Hi thanks for responding

the form was originally created in acrobat 9 pro extd. We have created a web service whereby we need to use the pdf file format to lock down the forms, the desired for process is below

1) data is entered by user & saved in a web form using .net(aspx)

2) the entered data then populates the appropriate form fields in the pdf.

3) the form is then rendered as a read only/non-interactive form and the text is flattened.

4) user of our web service should be able to save &/or print the pdf locally. but no edit rights

I don't have livecycle forms server. I did the post in livecycle designer because i figured we would need to create have some sort of scripting to accomplish this process

Former Community Member
Couple of issues that you should know before proceeding.

1. To communicate with a web service from the form using Reader you will need to Reader Extend the form using Reader Extensions Server and not Acrobat. Acrobat does not turn that right on. Note that if you intend to use Acrobat this is not an issue.

2. There is no means of getting the PDF form while it is running into the context of a SOAP message. There is no programmatic way to put the PDF into the payload from the form. I can get the data but not the form.

3. Once the data is populated into the form we could change all of the fields to Read Only ...thereby achieving the flattening that you require.

4. The web service will not be able to save or print locally through the client. The client will have to do that . The client being Reader or Acrobat.

Former Community Member
Hi Paul:

Thanks for your reply. I want to be sure that I understand what you are saying here.

If the data is coming from the html/web form and populating the pdf, we will need the reader extension server to flatten, correct? Or can I purchase adobe pro and install it on the server and get the job done?

We have been using a product called asppdf.com to populate the pdf form. We are able to view the populated pdf form now. It's just that the object fields in the newly populated pdf are still editable.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Jon

PS - what do you estimate that the cost is for adobe reader extension server?

Former Community Member
HI Paul:

One other thing. We only want the end user to have view rights only with the generated pdf. In other words they will not be filling out the pdf form fields in any way what so ever. They will only view the flattened pdf. The only fields that will be filled the user will be the html/asp form.

Thanks

Jon Morgan

Former Community Member
YOu cannot run Acrobat pro on the server as it will violate the license agreement. The Reader Extensions server does not do flattening ...it will allow Reader to have additional functionality on your form that would not normally be there for a Reader user(i.e. Digital Signing). To flatten the form there are server based products that you can run it through but you coudl also simply write a script on the form and make all of the fields read only. This way the form is still a form but not fillable beacuse the fields are read only. Did you use Designer to build the form or was it built in Acrobat?

I am not in Sales so I do not want to even guess at the price of Reader Extensions ...I will leave that to sales. Just remember it is a server product.

Former Community Member
Hi Paul:

The form was originally built in acrobat. I can create in livecycle if need be.

Creating a read only form would be ok as it would still accomplish the objective. Main objective is no client edit rights & to allow clients to print or save the pdf locally. Do you have such a script or know of anyone that does?

If there are any reasonable products out there that don't cost too much, I will consider any options here.

For what its worth Adobe would get a lot of business from small businesses if they would structure their products for those small business and not just the mega companies.

Thx

Jon

Former Community Member
I have script that can do it if the form was built in Designer (XFA). If you built it in Acrobat there are commands to lock fields but I do not know that scripting very well. Someone else might have a sample that does this.

If you choose to make your form XFA let me know and I will share the script.

Former Community Member
Paul:

Paul, thanks for your help here. I will let you know if I change the form to xfa. Can I get your contact info in case I do change this to a xfa?

thx

Jon

Former Community Member
Just post it here or send an email to livecycle8@gmail.com