Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reader Extensions vs certified

Former Community Member
What is the difference between using reader extensions to enable import/export and certified documents being required to use xfa importData("someinput.xml") or exportData("someinputmodified.xml,1)?

Does the pdf need to have both the reader extensions and be certified for those functions to work as described?

Using the null argument version of either works fine, but we don't want our users to have to use the file dialog to find the input XML file. We want script to calculate what the XML input file name should be based on the current date and to import the data when the form is rendered via Reader.

On a related note, should these xfa import/export data functions work from within the Designer ES preview PDF window? Because opening a reader extended document in Designer removes the extension information.
6 Replies

Former Community Member
yes when you open a ReaderExtended form in designer it would remove the rights,that is correct

Level 4
> Does the pdf need to have both the reader extensions and be certified for those functions to work as described?

According to the help docs (F1, then enter "importData" on the index tab), a document will need to be certified if you want to call xfa.importData with a parameter.

If you just want to pop up a dialog prompting the user to select a file, then you don't need to certify the document.

The same applies to the exportData function.

So yes, if you want to use the functions as you describe the document will need to be Reader extended and certified.

Former Community Member
Thanks, that is what I figured. Is there a way to certify a document for testing only? I don't have access to a digital certificate. We are using the trial version to prototype product functionality between LC and MS InfoPath. I would like to be able to demonstrate the script driven import if possible. - eric

Former Community Member
Anybody know a way to certify a document for test purposes without a digital certificate?

My trial expires in a few days and I really need to see the import/export data work without using the file open dialog. - eric

Level 4
Yep, think I can help with that.

make sure you don't omit the boolean parameter when you are calling export

> xfa.host.exportData("path.xml",false);

Configure a timestamp server in Acrobat (there's a free one here: http://timestamping.edelweb.fr/service/tsp ).

Make a new self-signed digital ID in Acrobat.

Sign the document with that signature.

Reader Extend the file.

Open in Adobe Reader, import the signing identity as trusted, and the Timestamp server public key as trusted.

Close and re-open the file, and the import/export from specific path should be working.

Let me know if you have any trouble, and I may be able to clarify.

I've only ever got it working with Timestamping configured, because otherwise the file gets a warning that the time came from the time on the local users machine.

Former Community Member
Thanks, Robert I will try that today after slaying a few production dragons. If that works though, then I can prove the importData() feature works as far as a standalone prototype is concerned, which would be great for sure.

Ultimately what I need to get working though is certifying via the LC Server SDK or at least convincing my boss that I researched it well enough to know what it takes to make it work at the code level. So I need to get the SignatureServiceClient object loaded and get through the Java processes required. I'll read up on what I can find about all that and check back in. Thanks for your help so far, you've saved me quite a bit of time and frustration trying to dig these things out. - eric